23. off
  24. EWR-IAH, IAH-SNA
  25. SNA-DEN, DEN-CID
  26. CID-DEN, DEN-SLC, SLC-DEN
  27. DEN-IAD, IAD-MEX
  28. MEX-IAH, deadhead to ORF (home)
1 Like

Hi Chris,

Quick question - I see it is possible to end some of your trips on a deadhead flight to home rather than ending up in your base of Newark. Is there something in the company that lets you do this? As far as I thought I knew, all trips began and ended at your base.

Thanks!

Eric

Eric,

All trips do technically start and end at your base. But at my airline, if the trip starts or ends with a deadhead, we can deadhead to or from home.

Chris

Hey Chris,

How are you liking the Bus vs the Guppy now that you have a few months since the change?

Jason,

Still a Boeing fan, always will be. The Airbus is a decent airplane, but it is quirky.

Chris

Hey Chris,

In general it sounds like a NB line holder at United works 16 days a month.

1. Is it that true during summer time as well? Or will United schedule a line holder up to 18 days during those peak months?

2. How feasible is it to drop a trip and fly more around 12-13 days on a monthly basis?

3. If question 2 is feasible, How senior do you have to be to drop a trip on a monthly basis?

Hi Chris,

Pilots get per diem on the number of hours they fly. SO, what are these per diem used for?

Prithvi,

Per diem is paid to offset/cover expenses incurred by the pilot while living away from home (food, etc). The money is included in your pay and yours to use as you see fit.

Adam

Oh so there is nothing like reiumbursemt?
Does this include transportation and hotel costs as well?

@Chris , I may have missed it, but kind of plane what are you flying?

Prithvi,

There are no reimbursements. The airlines provide hotel and transportation while you’re on a trip. If you’re commuting in the day before or after that’s on you.

Adam

Duke,

I am currently on the Airbus 320.

Chris

Hotels and transportation are provided by the airline.

Per diem should easily cover your food for a trip, it is better than being reimbursed and a heck of a lot easier.