Financing Loan

Just applied for the loan with sallie mae :smiley: Just curious did anyone have problems getting approved for the loan? How long did it take to get an approval?

Taykumar,

Personally, I did not and the process was quick if I recall, a day or two.

That said I do know that other’s experiences are all over the place. Some get approved without a co-signer. Others need to get creative with their application. Some never get approved.

All I can say is that if you have trouble, call Admin and ask to speak with Kirk in Finance.

Tory

It only took me a couple of days to hear back. Sallie Mae needed to chat over the phone about a few personal financial details, but after that I was approved quickly! Now I just have to wait until the end of June to finish up my current career before leaving it behind and starting ATP hopefully in August!

1 Like

@Tharry28 Its quite common to need a co-signer. It’s a large, unsecured loan and quite risky for the bank. It shouldn’t take much more than a few days to hear back. I hope it’s good news but if you do have trouble, reach out to the finance department. They are great and can help with your specific situation.

Hannah

Taykumar,

Once I applied, I heard back in a fair amount of time (less than a few business days). I was first denied my loan, but after slight discussion and negotiation with the underwriting manager, he went back to the drawing board. Within an hour, I had an agreement in hands that I wanted, and things moved forward. I needed a co-signer, most do
that’s normal.

Reach out to ATP’s finance department if you have loan questions or need some personal advice, they’re all great to work with.

Brady

Brady, During the discussion you had with him, and with him at the drawing board, did you get a decent interest rate, or did you discuss different things with him and him offer a better interest rate?

I was approved, just high interest rate, and with you being denied at first, then talking to him and getting approved, I wonder if there is any wiggle room on the interest rate? I figured they had a strict guideline/ data base they had to go by, but I could be wrong, any insight?

Keaton,

I’ll be brutally honest, I got smacked with a 12.35% interest rate. I was astonished, but with the drive and determination to attend ATP, I signed the loan documents and went about my day. At first, they were not going to approve of me due to “insufficient payment” after graduation and wanted to secure more money from a co-signer. I told the manager in a polite, but sincere way that I was not going to give up negotiating until I had terms of agreement.

But almost 2 years later, here I am. :wave: Well worth my negotiating and discussion with the manger.

Brady

Keep in mind that many people refinance their loans with other lenders after graduation into ones with much better interest rates.

Keaton,

I wouldn’t worry about the interest rate right now. Just because that’s in your paperwork doesn’t mean that’s actually what you’ll be paying off over the next 20 years. As soon as I got my ATP and my first professional flying job making good money, I refinanced. I got my interest rate down to 3%.

Hannah

3 Likes