Finding a job

After finishing flight school and getting 1500 hours do you guys think I will be able to secure a job right away with the shortage of pilots? Or is it still very competitive

John,

There is so much more to your question than a simple yes or no. How well will you have done in training? Do you have any sort of criminal record? How well do you interview? If all of those things can be answered well, and if there is still a pilot shortage (there its expected to be), then yes, you should be able to get hired quickly. Much of it depends on you though.

Chris

John,

As Chris said, it depends on your application and your ability to interview. With all things being neutral, sure jobs are expected to be there in 2 years… but a lot can happen. Covid happened nearly overnight turning an industry completely on its head.

If you’re concerned about your investment, thats natural. But if you’re only interested in pursuing this career if it’s smooth sailing picking up a job with ease, you may want to think twice. If you do your research, you’ll find the airline industry can be extremely tumultuous. Things could be good for your first 5 years and then you could get furloughed. That’s why we talk so much about having a back up plan so you can continue to pay off your loan and keep a roof over your head even in the worst case scenario.

Hannah

2 Likes

John,

A lot can change in the coming years, airline mergers, another pandemic, the list goes on and I think Adam was talking about a crystal ball the other day… I’m still waiting for the lottery numbers. The best thing about this career and industry is as spontaneous at times things may be, the reward outweighs the concerns and risk (IMO).

I started my flight training with ATP during the beginning/middle of covid, in July of 2020. The industry is going to fluctuate with staffing needs, right now regional airlines are hurting for captains, before it was first officers. I’m sure in a year, roles may reverse again, or the majors are going to hurt for a position. Retirements are happening every day, pilots are being interviewed daily, the clock of airlines operating never stop.

Brady

Quick couple questions. I know it could vary between airlines but should someone wait to apply once they have all the minimum requirements for the job or could they apply early if there close to having everything. Also whats the average time between applying and possibly getting in a interview?

HR,

Applying to a job before you meet the requirements is foolish. The airlines clearly state their requirements for employment AND have tons of applicants that meet them. By applying before you actually have them you’re basically saying either you’re incapable of understanding the written word OR you understand, but somehow think you’re “special” and the rules don’t apply to you. Neither is a good look.

As a how long to get an interview it’s anywhere from 2 weeks to never.

Adam

Thanks for the response. My current job clearly stated 2500 hour minimum when I applied, i got the job with 1200 hours. Its also one of the most reputable companies in the industry. So i dont think its foolish from my perspective but i dont know the airline industry like you thats why im here asking questions. If all i need is a multi add on and exceed all the requirements for a ATP by far and can get the add on done in 3 days i didnt think it was that foolish of a question but then again apparently it was.

HR,

Not sure where you’re working but since the airlines, as Federally regulated carriers, are required to make certain their pilots meet the federal requirements for the job (which in most cases are the stated 121 mins). IF(?) you were in fact hired at your current job with less than half what they state (maybe you are special?) and are so confident that’s the way to go why would you even ask? Something doesn’t really add up does it?

That said go ahead apply and I wish you luck.

Adam

I know 121 times are written in stone but ur not flying 121 during the interview process. I wasnt sure if they would say something like, yes you can start the process if by the time we offer you a job you have the necessary requirements thats fine. I dont claim to be special whatsoever im far from it. Anyways Im sorry i asked a stupid question. Wont happen again didnt think it was stupid or foolish to ask at the time. Again thanks for the response