Getting jobs out of school

Hello everybody,

I’m new to the forum and just curious how hard it is to get a job out of flight school? I know you need to build 1500 hours to go to the airlines but I’m wondering how competitive and difficult it is to get hired at the airlines once you have 1500 hours? Also is it difficult to get a job as corporate pilot? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Brady

Brady,

Not sure if you’ve been living under a rock for the last few years but the WORLD IS CURRENTLY EXPERIENCING THE MOST SEVER PILOT SHORTAGE IN HISTORY! While nothing is guaranteed (the biggest variable is YOU, your abilities, your background, and your personality), provided you do well in training, have a clean record, and aren’t too abrasive in an interview, you will have no issue getting hired. In the last few years salaries have gone to historic levels, the airlines are paying six figure hiring bonuses, and you can literally interview and get a conditional offer of employment with just your Private license.

There literally has never been a better time in history to become a pilot. The caveat of course is you have to learn to fly AND be good at it.

Adam

Brady,

Right now it is relatively easy to get a job once you get to 1,500 hours, providing your record is clean and that you do well in training. This might change if the pilot shortage eases or as the regional airlines shrink and the majors take on more of the flying.

The corporate world is a bit more challenging than the airline world. A lot there depends on who you know and they often have a strong preference for people with prior jet time. I would recommend focusing your efforts on the airlines. You will also build your flight time faster at the airlines, which will help when you are trying to move onto the major airlines.

Chris

Brady,

While we are still in a shortage, and will be for a while, there is by no means a shortage of 1500 hour pilots. I’ve have seen and read many people saying how difficult it is to get hired by a regional at the moment. And those that are getting hired are having long wait times for class dates. It seems like most of the regionals have caught up post COVID on FO’s and are still mostly looking for captains. I’m guessing once my 1-2 year group of FO’s (22’/23’ hires) either upgrade or move on, it will become easier again. Right now I’d say you will need to be a step above most to get hired at 1500 in this current market. You might even need turbine or part 135/part 91 jet time to get an interview. But things can and will change. Who knows what it’ll be like when your time comes, but the projected outlook is good.

Roscoe

Roscoe,

The key words in that sentence are “at the moment”. I’m sorry but the current generation of new pilots have the same patience for this as they do waiting for their first :+1:t3:on their newest IG post! If there isn’t a position (and class date) waiting for them as soon as they’re ready they panic and start crying “my career is over! What will I do?!?!”.

The fact is there’s not a single pilot minted over the last 5yrs (and yes I’m including CV-19) who has a clue as to what a tough job market is like and that’s a good thing. For those, who heaven forbid have had to wait beyond what they believe their awesomeness warrants, I say you had better find some grit. Because when things turn (and they always do), THAT’S when you need to find some patience.

Crusty Grumpy Old CA Adam

1 Like

“At the moment” is certainly the key word there, it should hopefully bounce back soon. Just wanted to make sure that people understand it’s not a “fog a mirror” hiring market! People hear shortage and think it’s really easy to be hired. Relative to 10 years ago, yes absolutely, but there will still be changes and temporary slow downs, as we are seeing now.

Roscoe

Brady,

The question is hard to answer because so much depends on you. How well did you do through training? Did you build quality time? Stay out of trouble? No accidents or incidents? Build a solid resume? Interview well? Have a good attitude? If you put your best foot forward at every turn, there are jobs. But if you’re looking for all the short cuts to get to the right seat of a jet making 100k a year, well you might not be hired even if jobs are plentiful. Make sense?

Hannah

Another Brady! :scream:

The name must be becoming popular around here these days.

Everyone answered your questions spot on, I just had to chime in and recognize there is another Brady here. :smiley:

Brady

You’re ALL Brady, Travis, Austin, etc etc. It’s like they’re they’re cloning peckerhead pilots these days! You all intermitten fast, LOVE IG, take ice baths for clarity and ALL went to ATP! :roll_eyes:

Adam

1 Like

Oldie but a goodie but sadly, it’s how I feel every day…

Adam