Firefighter to Pilot

Hi,

I am currently a full time firefighter in Utah. I am 38 and wanting to finally pursue my dream of becoming a commercial airline pilot. I am wondering what you all recommend I look for when researching flight schools. Although I work full time I have a schedule that’s conducive to pursuing other interests - I work 48 hour shifts with four days in between.

Obviously based on my age I would like to find a school with an accelerated program. Is this possible to do while maintaining my current job?

Thanks in advance!

Henry,

If you look up and to the left you’ll clearly see the ATP logo. This is ATPs forum and all the mentors are former students and instructors who are now successful airline pilots. We’re not salesmen, but we were all once where you were and after doing our research concluded ATP was the best option.

There are now many schools offering accelerated programs but ATP pioneered it and all are basically clones. Difference is ATP has been doing this for over 35yrs and has placed thousands of pilots over the years. The bad news is there is no way to successfully train at ATP and work at the same time. ATP compresses what usually takes years into just months and therefore requires a full-time commitment.

Adam

Having to leave my current career is a daunting thought; however, this is something I’ve wanted so badly for so long that I think it is worth the risks. Don’t get me wrong - being a firefighter is an incredibly fulfilling job - but it doesn’t come close to the experience of flying in a plane. I am in a good situation as my wife and I don’t have kids and she works full time. The fear of leaving my current job and then not succeeding with ATP for whatever reason is what gives me pause.

How soon after school do most of ATP’s students actually begin careers as pilots? Whether getting paid to be a CFI or any form of professional aviator.

Henry,

Let me preface this by saying EVERYBODY is different. I actually had a friend/instructor when I was at ATP. He did incredibly well and was a great instructor. He was hired by a Regional and within a year quit and returned to his previous job as a firefighter. Don’t misunderstanding I’m not trying to dissuade you and I absolutely love my job but it’s important to have realistic expectations. You say “it doesn’t come close” but frankly until you do it you really won’t know for sure.

As for the rest now is literally the best time in history to start this career due to the shortage. The course is 7mos and most people start instructing (and getting paid) immediately and then move on to a Regional within 2yrs.

Adam

Henry,

If you want to do accelerated training, you are going to need to quit your job. ATP only accepts full time students and their program is built around such. You can undoubtedly find a school that will work around your schedule, but it will take much longer and thus also cost more.

At some point, if you really want to be a pilot, you are going to need to quit your job and focus on the next phase of your life. I know it is hard and daunting, but you will have to make that leap at some point.

Chris