First class medical certificate question

Hi guys :wave:t3: I have question. Do I have to have my first class medical certificate before taking the PPL written test? And please where can I get done.

I want to joint ATP later this year but I want to go there with some sort of knowledge so I am not too lost. Thanks

You can take all the Written Tests without a medical. ATP and every Mentor will tell you the best advantage you can have starting at ATP is to have the written done prior to your start date.

You can get it done with an AME.
https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator
or
https://flightphysical.com/

Read the FAQ section and use the search function. Many of the questions you have have likely been answered there.

Chris F

1 Like

Heyphil,

You don’t need a medical to take any of the FAA Knowledge exams but I do think you’re putting the cart before the horse. If for some reason you can’t get your First Class it’s pointless taking any exams and the exams also expire after 24mos so if there’s a delay in starting your training you’d have to take it again. Further the written tests are really just a box to be checked. While it’s beneficial to complete the exams to help lighten the workload, it really won’t provide you with too much useful knowledge. Once you do enroll in ATP you’ll be provided with all the study materials you’ll need plus guidance as to what to have done prior to your start.

Adam

Thank you Adam for the help. I saw in your bio you described you really started at age of 39. I am currently 35 and I thought I was too old for this but you are my inspiration man and I bet you have inspired too many other who think it is too late to start a career as a pilot. Good job :+1: God bless you.

Heyphil

Heyphil,

Thank you for your kind words. That’s really the reason I’m on this forum. Growing up I’d always heard to be a pilot you need to fly for the military and start very young. I was fortunate enough to find ATP and they helped me prove that simply isn’t the case.

Fun fact the national average age for pilots to start their training is actually 33 so you’re only slightly off the mark.

Adam

1 Like

I would absolutely recommend getting your medical before conducting any training. If you are not able to obtain a medical certificate, there is very little point in studying for the written exam. But yes, you can take the written exam without a medical.

1 Like