First class medical? Yay or nay?

Hey guys!

I’m finally back and hoping to start my schooling within a year or so now. I have seen mixed reports on if I will pass the medical if I take sleeping neds of any sort. Wondering what insight I cam get on that. I’ve never done sleep studies and haven’t had it even suggested. I take a super low dose med to slow my brain down so I can sleep. Will this prevent me from getting my CPL or working in an airline?

Please help…

Thanks
Aurora

1 Like

Aurora,

The ONLY one who can answer that question is an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner). You’ll need to consult one for a definitive answer.

That said this doesn’t make it sound good:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/pharm/sleepaids/

Adam

Aurora,

You will need to speak with a FAA doctor about this one. It will most likely depend on the type of medicine and what the underlying condition is.

Chris

Alright, thank you guys! Hoping I’m not doomed before I start!

Adam,

I checked that link you posted, and the one I take is not on the list. I also found a different page with a whole list of FAA approved and not approved medications. Mine is not on the list at all, so that sounds about like a 50/50 chance to me! Time will tell, I suppose!

I finally have a game plan for affording my training, so I’m really excited! Planning to do my private license not through ATP, and the slow down to only a couple lessons a month while I save to knock the remainder out with ATP. On a whim, I did a PPL practice test, and while I didn’t quite pass, somehow now I understand the navigation stuff! Navigation is quite complicated…

Aurora,

As I said only an AME will know for certain.

As for your PPL written, what are you using to study?

Adam

Adam,

I have been using ascent ground school online. I last studied it several years ago, but stopped when I got to weather and navigation. Honestly I’m surprised I did as well as I did on it. Now I’m going through all the stuff I skipped previously.

Thanks again!
Aurora

Aviation maps are slightly horrifying compared to road maps!

Aurora I’m not familiar but I took a quick look and it looks legit as far as ground school curriculum goes. Keep in mind most pilots use test preps that focus specifically on passing the FAA Knowledge exam. In short they really don’t teach you much and it’s strictly learning the answers by wrote. While this might not sound like a good thing the fact is the written tests don’t really follow any organ program and are simply a box that needs checking. In short don’t go crazy with it.

Adam

Adam,

That’s good to know. Though I do like knowing as much as possible! Curious minds and all that! I figure it can’t hurt to know more than I need to pass! I think I’m going to retry the practice test now that I’ve done the maps and weather lessons, I should be much less confused!

Thanks,
Aurora

Aurora,

In regards to FAA written tests, it is really best to score 90% or better. The examiner will ask you about the areas you scored incorrectly on when you take your actual check ride, so it is better to give them as little ammo as possible.

Chris

Chris,

That makes sense! I’ll just plan to ace it when the time comes!