First post!

Hi all, so I’m brand new to this community and industry and naturally have questions.

A little about me, I am a 32 year old single mom looking for a career change.

My first question is really sensitive but I want to get it out of the way first because I would absolutely hate to go through all the motions and pay money only to have it fall out from under me because of this one thing. In other words, I want to know if this is even worth pursuing for me.

I don’t want to disclose any private information, but I want to know how I can go about getting medically/psychologically cleared before I enroll in school? Is that even possible? I have a little bit of a history and it is all well managed at this point in time, but I know that certain conditions automatically disqualify you. I want to make sure I will be allowed to fly before I actually learn to fly, if that makes sense.

I have other questions as well, but I will address those later depending on how this one goes. Thank you for any feedback on this matter.

Hannah,

Not only is it possible, it’s a really good idea. In order to do flight training you must obtain (and maintain) medical certificate. More important to fly for an airline that must be a First Class medical certificate. To do so contact an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) in your area and schedule an appt. If you can get a First Class you’re good to go. Know that if you have a history (particularly if it’s psychological) this could be a long process, but the first step again is speaking to an AME.

Adam

Hannah,

Welcome to the forum. You’re exactly right. The first step is making sure you’re medically cleared to pursue flight training.

Adam posted the link for you there. Just select AME, and put your zip code. That will pull up the list of eligible AME’s in your area. It will direct you to fill out a form on MedXpress and bring the completed confirmation code to your appointment.

Let us know if you have any other questions. We’re here to help!

Hannah

Hannah,

If you have any psychological issues, I would expect a long and potentially expensive process to get cleared. A visit to an AME should help get an idea for just what you are looking at to gain clearance.

Chris

Hannah,

You may need to see a HIMS AME, but start with any AME and go from there.

You will need to submit your first class medical application through MedXPress Login

Tory