Flight Invitations

Hey!
If you are scheduled to fly a trip let’s use Paris as an example and you have to spend part of the route overnight at a hotel. Could you invite a guest with you?

For example, you fly from Boston to Paris and have to stay overnight at Paris for a following flight back to Boston in the morning. Could you invite a friend or a family member to board the aircraft your taking and allow them to share the hotel room with you or is that not allowed. Also would it cost them money to board them on your flight if they are related to you?

Thanks, Androu

Androu,

Yes and it’s one of the great perks of the job. If it’s a family member or significant other (per your airline’s pass travel policy) they’ll pay nothing for the flight nor the hotel. The only caveat is there must be room on the flight (both ways). What you don’t want to to be pushing off the gate and see you girlfriend’s face pushed up against the glass watching you leave. I came dangerously close to leaving my son in Tokyo once. Not a good feeling.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

How far in advance can you book the tickets? Is there a way you can ensure space?

Ben

Adam,

Are there limited amounts of passes we can give or is it unlimited? For example, could you only take your significant other a certain amount a year on your flights or is it unlimited as long as there is space?

Thanks, Androu

Androu,

For your family, etc there is no limit. There are also buddy passes you can give to others. They have a much lower boarding priority which makes things harder and those are limited per year.

Adam

1 Like

Androu,

Absolutely, I have taken my wife on several trips with me. Of course the risk is always that they will not get on the flight home. I had that happen once, our flight from Stockholm cancelled and we were going to be super full the next day. I ended up having to but a ticket for my wife on British Airways.

Ben,

The only way to ensure space is to purchase them a ticket.

Chris

3 Likes

Chris,

What if you purchase them a ticket in advance and then find out the aircraft will have many available seats. Could you cancel their ticket and get a refund and still allow them to board the flight?

Thanks, Androu

Negative. That would actually be grounds for termination as that is occupying a revenue seat without the intention of actually using the seat or spending the money.

2 Likes

Androu,

You can of course go the other. If you see there are few seats you could buy one. Obviously that would be last minute and at a premium. And no, you don’t get a discount.

Adam

1 Like

At my airline, we get a 20% discount on full fare tickets.

1 Like

We do as well, BUT not within a certain period from departure (like 72hrs?), which wouldn’t help last minute.

Adam