Flows/Guaranteed Interviews Without a Degree

Hi all,

I’ve read on this site that it’s extremely important to have a four-year degree to have a chance of being hired at a major airline. However, I don’t have any information on whether this same advice applies to flow-through programs (such as Envoy to American without an interview) or guaranteed final interview programs like Skywest to Delta? What about previous major airline experience? Would it be realistic to think that someone without a degree could go from, for example, Envoy to American and then jump ship to another major?

Joelle,

First let’s talk about the flows. When flows work it a beautiful thing. What people don’t realize is that situations change, flows can be cancelled, there’s other fine print that allows them to restrict the number of flows, and of course they can be rescinded if you suffer some accident or incident. Yes it’s “possible” to get hired at a Regional with a flow without a degree but you’re literally putting all your eggs in one basket and severely limiting your options.

Next pilots rarely move from one Major to another. You’d lose all your seniority and all that goes with it. Further (using your example) Delta has their preferences. If one is a 4yr degree, the fact you flowed into American without one is not going to give you a pass. Getting to a Major is the pinnacle of this profession and there are no loopholes in.

Adam

1 Like

This whole flowing/moving to the majors without a degree question has very popular lately. Are the majors dropping the requirement for a bachelor’s degree?

Al,

No, they are not. Nor do I see that happening anytime soon. I think it is wishful thinking on many people’s parts.

Chris

1 Like

Al,

EVERYONE seems to be looking for a loophole or shortcut. When people think they see one they get excited. It’s kinda like when you get that letter from Publishers Clearing House. Sure somebody somewhere won something but I’ve never seen Steve Harvey on my block!

Adam

2 Likes