Following the ATP Career Path

How does obtaining the Gold Seal Flight Instructor work with ATP, and If I do not choose the 100+ Multi with ATP, would I still be eligible to be/obtain an MEI with ATP? The 100+ option costs about 15-20k extra, so it’s an area of concern to me.

My PPL instructor has advised me to get the GLEIM study guide, along with Jeppesen’s. Are these good/better than Sheppard’s, King’s, or Sporty’s, or should I consider using these as well?

My third question is, before initiating flight training, should I ask my instructor to do an intro flight to see if it’s what I like?

Jacob,

A Gold Seal has nothing to do with ATP. CFIs can obtain a Gold Seal from the FAA if they gain a ground instructor certificate and have an 80% or better pass rate by they’r students. I earned mine while instructing for ATP but again it wasn’t something they encouraged or discouraged.

If you do not choose the 100ME option you would still earn your MEI but would not be guaranteed an MEI position. It should not be an area of concern for you UNLESS you’re not planning on becoming an airline pilot and are seeking other flying opportunities.

Jacob I’m frankly shocked that you say you have a flight instructor and they’re recommending courseware before you’ve ever been up flying. I wouldn’t spend a penny nor study a sentence until you do. What if you hate it or are terrified? If either happens everything else is moot.

Finally I’m curious why you’re looking to earn your PPL elsewhere if you’re contemplating training with ATP?

Adam

2 Likes

Sheppard Air all the way, that’s why ATP gets you instant access to their material. Not only is it an effective method to passing the written exams, it also is what I found to be the easiest with being extremely prepared having gone through all the possible questions that could arise on the test bank.

Brady

1 Like

Adam,

Thanks. I’m encouraged that passing 80% of students would earn a gold seal.

You stated that 100ME should not be an area of concern unless I am not planning on becoming an airline pilot. Did you mean to state it should be an area concern if I am planning on becoming an airline pilot? Again, it’s at least a 15,000$ difference.

I would like to know if i’d still be obtaining my CFI, II, & MEI at the end of the program without 100ME. If no guaranteed MEI slot, would CFI, CFII instructing count towards 1,500 minimums or slow 1,500 progression? My PPL training would cost 50% less locally, and usually gives students an advantage in the long run.

OK, with King’s, Sporty’s etc… those are all just iOS apps. A single search will show plenty more amateur preparation apps for FAA testing. However, in this situation, I’ve decided to follow my instructor’s advice and go with Gleim. If I were to enroll at ATP, the situation would be quite the same. I would follow the advice of my instructors, and use Sheppard’s or whatever else it may be. Thank you.

Jacob,

No, I meant exactly what I said. You should ONLY consider the 100hr ME program IF you’re NOT planning on becoming an airline pilot and IF are planning on seeking OTHER flying opportunities. Regional airlines will hire you with a min of 25hrs of ME time which you will obtain IF you get your ME and MEI and instruct for ATP (in fact you’ll most likely earn more). AS I SAID you WILL earn your MEI as part of the program. IF however you are not planning on instructing for ATP or you’ll be looking to fly corporate where they MAY require more than 25hrs ME ATP offers the 100hr option. Without the option you’ll still build the time and it will not slow your progression.

As for your PPL, while your local flight school may quote you a price based on the FAA minimums that’s half of ATPs, the reality is many if not most people pay more than that, particularly when you factor in the 78hr minimum time requirement ATP has in order to get credit for your PPL. Further I can’t imagine what “advantage” you believe or have been told there is training locally? If you believe earning your Instrument, ME, Commercial and all 3 CFIs is best accomplished by training with ATP, why wouldn’t you want to start and build the foundation of your training there?

Adam

2 Likes

Adam,

FAA requires IR & MER be done at the same flight school. My local instructor asks $8,000 for a PPL versus $16,000 at a flight school. Earning my PPL would advance my placement in part 141 and part 61 schools. I’m not moving away from home for at most a year because of PR. Also, I will likely start my bachelor’s degree in the Spring of 2021, because I’ve read it’s best to have it done before starting flight school. So, I’d like to have my PPL already done and out of the way if I’m going to be obtaining my bachelor’s degree.

Jacob,

I’m really not sure where you’re getting your info from but it’s not correct. The FAA doesn’t require you to get ANY two licenses or ratings from the same school.

Does local instructor GUARANTEE it’ll be $8,000 regardless of how long and how many hours you take? That and AGAIN if you plan on training with ATP they require a minimum of 78hrs. You need to figure the cost of that in your math.

If you’re saying getting your PPL locally before you go to college will allow you to require less training after that would be true. My caveat is make certain you maintain some currency during school or its not going to benefit you much.

Adam

1 Like

Oh, that’s surprising. I had a part 141 coordinator tell me since the 2009 crash, Instrument and MER had to be done at the same school. I’ve already obtained my associate’s degree, and will be aiming for the online ‘finisher’ option, to which I will have a scholarship. My only caveat to that is, I would not start until Spring of 2021. Do you advise being able to juggle a full-time school load while attending ATP, even if online, etc? Oh, and, I will be sure to ask them if that cost includes 79 hours and if I will be able to take an exploratory flight anytime soon.

Jacob,

I think you are getting some false information here. I have never once heard of a requirement to do multiple ratings at the same school, it just does not work that way.

I would absolutely not recommend trying to go to ATP while also taking college classes, even online. ATP is a highly accelerated program that requires a full time commitment. Trying to add a college class to the mix would be a huge stressor and tax your already limited time. It is simply not a good, or feasible, idea.

Chris

1 Like

Jacob,

The ATP program is a fulltime accelerated program that courses years of training into months. Should you attempt to go to school, even part time online, I can pretty much assure you that one or both will suffer. Further busting more than a couple of checkrides can have a very negative impact on your career. No one can tell you not to but of you do and you fail it’s on you.

Adam