Where to Flight Instruct

Hello! I am nearing completion of the program at ATP and have noticed that other flight schools offer very competitive quality of life and pay for their instructors.

I always thought I’d instruct at ATP, but now I’m not so sure. I’ve even been considering deferring my MEI pending a job offer.

I want to make the right decision and am looking for some advice to consider in making it. How many actually used their MEI? Does not finishing with ATP cause problems progressing in ones career? If I did finish, is speed and security the main reason instructors stay at ATP as opposed to getting a full time job at a different flight school for better pay?

1 Like

Christian,

I would absolutely get your MEI. It not only is good for your resume but also a good way to potentially build multi engine time. Even though only 25 hours is required for the ATP certificate, more is always better.

Once you complete the program, you’ve got a choice of employment. It’s no secret pay may be better at other schools, however, you should be most concerned with how many hours their instructors are getting on average. You paid for a highly accelerated program, wouldn’t you want to continue that pace and get a seniority number sooner rather than later? Also, do they have pathway programs to dozens of airlines? Those can provide a CJO pending 1500 hours, tuition reimbursement and other great benefits to improve your quality of life in the meantime.

Lastly, how are the aircraft you could be flying? Are their MX records kept well? How well are the aircraft maintained? I can tell you the quality of aircraft can vary greatly from school to school. Thats not something you ever would have to worry about at ATP.

Just some things to think about…

Hannah

2 Likes

Thank you Hannah :slight_smile:

1 Like

Christian,

Soooo, just that I’m clear, you want to reduce your resume and possibly lose access to all ATPs airline partnerships (including possible direct entry to Frontier or Spirit) all of which could literally cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars and seniority throughout your career you’ll never recoup, so you can make a few more dollars and have more free time for a year, year and a half as an instructor. Is that the question?

Adam

Christian,

I’m a number and statistics kind of guy, I don’t know any other flight school that can provide the type of resources, partnerships and mentorship that ATP can:

Don’t defer your MEI, one day you will wish you had it…

Brady

2 Likes

Hi Hannah!

About 6 months since you gave me this advice last year. I did finish my MEI and graduated the program. I’m so glad I did because I finished my Multi-Engine Indoc with ATP yesterday and now I will be using everyday the very cert I almost deferred.

Thanks for all your work and mentorship here around Airline Pilot Life :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Christian,

I am glad you took our advice here because it seems it is paying off. Don’t take flying the Seminole for granted, make sure all your students are prepared with their flows and memory items before you step foot into the plane. The simulator is a great tool and your students should recognize that early on, and utilize it when not conducting a flight event. When your students are preparing for MEI, invite them in to teach the CMEL applicants, and you being a mediator and intervening if something is being taught wrongfully. Law of primacy is important, make sure you step into the right direction here early on!

Brady

Christian,

Wow, congratulations! Thanks for checking in. We love to hear these kind of stories.

Hannah