Food While On Crew

To the ATP Grads and those done with the crew portion, what did you all do for food? I will be in the Seminole so likely won’t be home much during crew, did you pack food or eat out mostly? I am trying to be budget friendly but also want to be realistic.

Thanks!

Just got back from crew. We sometimes flew 3 legs in a day so we were out of the hotel some mornings at 6:30am and didn’t get into the hotel until about 6:00pm. Mornings I usually grabbed a water, banana and some protein bars. We would then find a local restaurant to grab some dinner at, get back to the hotel and go to sleep. I was pretty much eating 1 meal a day. But you can always request a crew car and grab lunch in between your flights. We usually took about a half hour to an hour between flights to refuel, charge the iPads and grab a snack at the FBO’s and would take off for our next destination.

-Kyle

2 Likes

This is an early taste of how regional flying can be. Some days you get lucky and have a long enough sit to get a nice lunch or dinner. However, on heavy flying trips with long duty days, I am incredibly grateful for the cooler bag with fresh and healthy food right in the flight deck. If you have a cooler at home, I suggest loading that up as much as you can plus some snack bars in your back pack. All hotels have access to a freezer or an ice machine to refill your cooler.

Hannah

1 Like

Zachary,

Early welcome to the lifestyle of an airline pilot. :wink: Even during training there are some nights where you just have to go grab a quick bite and get back to study and preparing for the next day.

I have seen a few guys meal prepared and use hotel ice overnight to keep food cold inflight and last. I think it’s about experimenting and trying things. You could also get a meal like Olive Garden and get the extra meal To-Go, I did that on crew.

Brady

Did you really just suggest Olive Garden? Hang on, let me get this right…
Smh…:roll_eyes:

Adam

Adam,

Olive Garden was the spot for me. It was the first thing on my mind and their To-Go meals are $5-10 which is a nice entree, plus I must be salivating now for their garlic bread. :sunglasses:

Brady

1 Like

Brady my friend. I can only hope that one day you’ll have the opportunity to eat some real Italian food (incl real garlic bread, not those foam mallets they serve) and then you’ll understand.

Many years ago I was on an overnight and the Capt told me about this AMAZING Italian restaurant he knew about. He proceeded to take us to Olive Garden. After that I questioned every decision he made on the flight deck as I seriously questioned his judgement and sanity.

Until then I’ll pray for you…

Adam

6 Likes

Adam,

Are you seriously trying to say that Olive Garden does not serve Italian food? The whole places drips of Italy. They have Italian music, Italian decor, and they say “prego”. When I walk through the doors of an Olive Garden I am instantly transported back to the era of Victor Emmanuel II and feel like I am sitting on the Amalfi Coast or maybe even the dining room of Villa San Michele.

I am so confused by your feelings on this obviously very Italian ristorante.

Chris

3 Likes

There’s an old expression, you can put lipstick on a pig…

I sincerely hope you’re kidding? Other wise Im thinking you went to Epcot and actually thought you were in Italy. Next time you’re both in NY, take a ride to Mulberry St and visit a little spot called Il Cortile, then we can talk…

Adam

Not the exchange I expected when I posted this. :joy:

Zachary,

It can get interesting… :smirk:

Brady

Don’t blame me! Things were good until the Palete Challenged Brady showed his cards!

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

I think we both can agree on Chick-fil-A :blush: :cow:

Brady

1 Like

Hence the expression “stay in your lane”!
:rofl:

Adam

2 Likes

Nah Mulberry is for tourists, go to Arthur Avenue.

Well, I wish I was as savvy as you to think of packing meal prep for crew, but I guess I did learn eventually. Grab a 40 oz plastic water bottle to haul around in the cockpit, and Quest protein bars which work pretty well to plug holes in your appetite when you can’t eat a normal meal. You can carry a small soft cooler with you and stick a loaf of bread, some tuna packs, or even premade chicken salad, and a couple of yogurts from the hotel breakfast in the morning for lunch. Buy a couple of ice bags that parents put on their kid’s head when they have a fever and you can use hotel ice in the morning to refill them. Most hotel fridges won’t refreeze your reusable ice packs. Eat a normal meal (non-Olive Garden Italian or whatever your flavor is) in the evening. It’s almost easier to just order Uber Eats to the hotel, as you likely won’t have a crew car overnight. That is becoming VERY rare at the FBOs.

1 Like