Weights and workouts

Hello all, just generic questions here. I know ATP has a weight requirement for weights and balances, so I’m working on going from 264ish down as low as I can. (Currently at 257, 5 foot 10, 27 year old, had no issues getting my first class med) I’m not enrolled at ATP yet but I’m in the process. Are there any suggestions for workouts/diets etc for getting to weight and for keeping it off as an airline pilot?

It’s honestly even more personal responsibility than a normal job.

Biggest thing you can do is get good at making healthy food, eating less and meal prepping healthy food that will last a few days while on trips.

The next thing is getting exercise and being consistent with it. I had a personal trainer at my local gym last year and saw some results but honestly it wasn’t great for the money being spent.

Because our schedules are inconsistent, it is hard to join group sports and gym groups.
While studying for Spirit I lost most of my muscle gains staying in the hotel and eating fast food for 2 months.
Now that I’m settled living in Tampa I’m gonna join Spirits discounted nation wide gym program and workout by myself 3-4 times per week at the local gyms or hotel rooms.
I’m currently looking at a program that uses weight machines but also can substitute with body weight exercises for hotels that don’t have a good gym.

On the food side I’ve learned that sometimes I just eat too much or eat cause I’m bored, so now I try to leave food on my plate, & drink water instead of grabbing a snack. Soda and beer are no longer in my fridge and I got rid of the air-fryer so I can’t make Chicken Tenders and Fries at 2am :sweat_smile:

Goal is to get from 205 to 175 @ 5’9 by next year.

All the best,
Chris F

2 Likes

Ryan,

My suggestion is stick to a healthy diet and workout wherever you can. I am not a fan of fad diets. Some may claim they work, but I don’t believe that they are right for all so I don’t recommend them.

I used to have a personal trainer. I completely agree with Chris, not worth it, nor is it realistic. I always found it hard to keep up with my workouts on a trip because each hotel gym is different and most lack adequate equipment for what I was doing.

I am back to a simple routine. I have a basic home gym set up in my garage. I am really enjoying the TRX workouts. For cardio at home I walk, run or use my row machine. On trips, I stick to walking and running mostly. I also use YouTube A LOT. YouTube has a seemingly endless library of workout videos.

I also found that it helps to pack my own food and snacks for trips. Not only is it better for my budget, it also keeps me away from unhealthy food.

Tory

Ryan,

I actually used to me a personal trainer and I maintain that EVERY person in this country knows what they should and should not be eating. In fact a few years back a couple of doctors wrote a book researching every diet known. At the end of the book the conclusion was “move more eat less”.

Long short make healthy choices and move more and you’ll lose the weight. Don’t and you won’t.

Adam

Ryan,

The two biggest factors: eating healthy food on trips and working out when you can. Unfortunately on this job we sit, a lot. If you don’t eat small portions of healthy food, the weight will just pack on.

At the regional level, we fly a lot of legs with not a lot of time between them. Instead of running to whatever fast food is in the terminal, I have a cooler full of fresh snacks and light meals. I tend to snack throughout the day with one prepped meal at night in the hotel. Any longer “sits” throughout my day, I just walk around the terminal getting as many steps as I can. On my layovers, I do my best to walk, run or yoga from fitness apps in my room.

It’s more about consistency than it is about a strict diet or working out hard every day.

Hannah

2 Likes

You’re young. Loose the weight now. Cut back on sugars and fatty foods. Stop drinking soda of any kind. Start by cutting your dinner by 1/3. It’s not a lot but does a lot for you. Your weight is high now. As you fly down the road especially on long international flights it’s easy to eat everything on the plane when it’s served to you. Exercise 30 minutes on every layover. Run or long walks. If weather is bad cold or raining then walk the stairs in hotels. It’s a great cardio workout. I flew for 39 years. I ate healthy and exercise religiously. Don’t make excuses. When you’re done you feel a sense of well being. I started flying commercially at 26. Flew international for many years. I retired with no medical issues nor ever loosing my first class. My Flight surgeon said the most unhealthy age for pilots starts around 43. Flying long trips overeating to kill time and being lazy on layovers not willing to dedicate 30 minutes to health and a little exercise. I started flying at 26 and 180 lbs. I retired at 65. 195. Still at 195 at 69. Most was muscle built and added by simple exercises. Push-ups sit ups running in place many of these things can be done in your hotel room as you watch tv. Hundreds of online quick videos on how to workout traveling for a living. It can be done Start today. Don’t be a statistic and say I wish I would of started years ago. Good luck.

2 Likes

Wow, and I’m planning on graduating from ATP when I’m 43… :cold_sweat:

Age is but a number (until you hit 65, then the FAA turns you 121 career in to a pumpkin). Make healthy choices, move when you can and do well in training.

I struggled to make healthy choices as an instructor because life was so busy. However, I got my weight back under control when I got to the regionals.

Hannah

It’s never too late to take control of your health. Start in small steps and you will be amazed in a short time of changes you see in your health. Good luck Francisco.

Spoken like a true 20-30yo! Tell me that when you’re 58. Just finished the floors in my house. I’m pretty fit and I swear even my face hurts when I eat!

Adam

2 Likes

Hey I already get sore sitting in a bad flight deck seat for a long day… “where is the lumbar support!?” :joy:

Hannah

1 Like