For anyone interested in starting, but has tattoos

I have a few tattoos on three fingers and like many, researched extensively on whether or not I could keep them. The answer is, 95% of the jobs out there will NOT let you have them. No covering fingers/necks, no bandaids, etc. Sure you might “get away” with it, but you are risking your entire career and years of training.

So I decided I would laser them off and jumped into getting my PPL.

Well, yesterday was my first removal appointment and LET ME TELL YOU. Thank goodness they are pretty small, because it was fairly painful and recovery sucks. It also told me I am certain I love being a pilot because I am a total wimp but 100% going to finish removal.

So if you have tattoos that are visible, I would recommend at least testing the laser process first because if you can’t stomach the 7-10 sessions you’ll need, then no use in wasting your time and money on training.

I hope this helps anyone trying to debate whether or not their tattoos are a deal breaker.

1 Like

Way to tough it out!
Reason # 76 why I’m happy I didn’t get a tattoo! Lol
Flight Attendants were recently fired for similar tattoos they tried to hide. Do not recommend.

Good luck in training,
Chris F

1 Like

Thanks! Just had my first progress check and passed, on to the rest!

And yes, I really thought I would be a self employed kid the rest of my life lol.

What if I have a “sleeve” tattoo that is easily covered with a long sleeve shirt? Would an airline still reject you? From what I’ve read, as long as it can be completely covered by regular clothing, it’s not a deal breaker. Your opinion on this matter? Honestly, to remove a sleeve or even half the sleeve would be expensive and rather painful. Lol.

Franco,

Every Airline I know of currently has similar language regarding their Dress Codes. “If it can be covered up by the uniform, it is fine.” I have a non-aviation friend who got “tired” of their sleeve and went the blackout route… also looked painful and expensive.

Chris F

Thanks so much for the response Chris. I really appreciate it. Stay safe and God bless.