Future Airline Pilot Hopeful

Hey everyone!

I’m new to this industry but I have always wanted to jump in and get involved. I’m currently 23 years old and own a small business, but as I grow older I have realized flying is my favorite thing to do. When I travel to new places traveling there and back is my favorite part of the trip. I have done extensive research on the steps to become a pilot and my dream would be flying foe the airline industry. I have zero hours completed and would be starting FRESH, but am eager to jump in, but need all the advice I can get. Is there anyone out there who is or was at one time in my shoes? I’m wanting to sell everything and devote my time to the airline industry. I’ve been researching flight schools and think this might be the best route for me at this time, but I’m not 100% sure. I also have a bachelors degree in psychology. Is that worth anything to me in this industry? Thanks in advance for the help and advice any and all is welcome. Thanks again and stay safe during this pandemic!

New and Inexperienced but Hopeful Future Pilot,

Isaac

Isaac,

I think it’s safe to say EVERYONE on this forum has been in your shoes at some point as no one’s born with a pilot’s license. That all said before you “sell everything and devote your time to the airline industry” you SERIOUSLY need to take an intro flight. Just because you enjoy traveling in the back of a Boeing or Airbus does not mean you’ll enjoy sitting up front in a small aircraft with your hands on the controls. I wouldn’t spend another minute pondering how good you’ll look in the uniform with your Ray Bans on until you do.

Adam

Isaac,

The first thing you need to do is to take an introductory flight. You can take one at ATP, or just about any other flight school out there. It is one thing to like riding in the back and quite another to actually take the controls of a small airplane. If after the intro flight, you are still not sure, I recommend getting to at least the solo stage before deciding whether or not you want to fly professionally. This is a lot of money to commit to flight training, it is best to be absolutely sure.

Your degree will be helpful in that the major airlines want to see a degree, they do not really care what it is in.

We have all been where you are now, in a few years, you could be where we are now :slight_smile:

Chris

Cantata? Is this something new ATP is offering? Can I get a cantata? Is it expensive? Are there a limited number of cantatas available and is it cantatas or cantati? Details man! :wink:

Adam

4 Likes

Isaac,

Before you sell everything, pause for just a moment and schedule an intro flight or a few if you need more flights to determine if this is more than an infatuation. Right now you are infatuated with the idea of being a pilot without having any actual experience at the controls and no medical certificate in hand.

Your psychology degree checks off the degree checkbox in a major airline interview. That’s about it. If you become an instructor you will also take a written test called the Fundamentals of Instructing which should look very familiar to your intro to psych class.

Tory

It’s a Boeing thing, you wouldn’t understand. To fully understand it, one would have to have an actual Boeing type rating (or several of them) and not a slightly modified McDonnell Douglas type rating.

4 Likes

Lol, Touche’ :joy:

1 Like