Future in aviation

Hello. I’m trying to get any information or aid on getting into a airline pilot school.
I come from a poor family and was homeschooled. I never focused on building my credit when I was younger either. I have always had a dream of flying internationally as a commercial airline pilot. Like a constant drive to feel the freedom of the open skies. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Nicholas,

Flying is expensive and unfortunately the cost is often the biggest obstacle many people face. Most people don’t have the money and either have to wait or take out loans which means very good credit. There really aren’t many scholarships out there that will cover the whole cost (there are some small ones that will get you started, I suggest you do some Googling but again they’ll only cover a small portion). United did recently announce their Aviate Program which will provide some scholarships targeted to increase diversity so preference will be given to women and minorities.

Adam

I’ve been looking all morning for scholarships, tuition assistance, or train-to- hire programs. But I haven’t found anything. I applied for the aviate progress but have not heard anything yet. Is it pointless to try?

Nicholas,

As I said scholarships are few and far between. Not sure when you applied to Aviate nor how long it takes them to respond.

That said I have to be honest. If you’re ready to quit after only “looking all morning” then yes it probably is pointless.

Adam

Nicholas,

Unfortunately you won’t find any scholarships significant enough to cover all the flight training you need to become an airline pilot. The best thing you can do is build your credit, save the money you can and explore your options with a co-signer. (Most people need a co-signer to be approved because it’s a high risk loan for the bank.) While doing that, continue doing well in school and pursue college on a strict budget.

Hannah

Lucius,

I would but you’d have to check with the provider to see if they do.

Adam

Nicholas,

Unfortunately financial assistance for flight training doesn’t come until you’ve proven that you are worth the investment.

Organizations are reluctant to provide financial aid to someone with zero experience because not every can or should be a pilot.

Most people finance their training and among those most also require a co-signer. I would start there. If you are out of options then now is the time to start building credit and saving until you either have enough credit to be approved for a loan or have enough in savings to pay out of pocket or both.

If you can get to that stage then after you start flight training you can take advantage of tuition reimbursement programs once you’ve reached a certain level of experience.

Tory