Getting to airlines with a charge

Hello everyone I was wondering what the odds are that I ever make any major airlines if I have been arrest but no conviction. I was 20 and got into a fight which led to a simple assault charge. I have already disclosed it to the AME getting my first class medical and understand I will be explaining what happened with every interview for the rest of my life. The charge was dismissed but I’m 24 now with a bachelors in aviation and a CFI with one failed ride which was my multi ride. Other than that not so much as a speeding ticket since I was 16 I made a hot headed mistake and hoping it isn’t the defining moment of my career.

William,

I actually do not see this being a big issue for you. People are charged with things that they are not guilty of, that is simply a fact of life. Have your explanation ready, own your part of it, and state what you have learned from it. Was the charge dismissed because you were innocent or because you participated in some sort of program?

Chris

It was dismissed because I was innocent yes never did any type of probation or anything of that nature.

William,
Sounds like it may come up on a background check but if you were innocent and you have a good lesson you learned from it, it shouldn’t be an issue. Congrats on CFI! What are you doing to build time now?

-Hannah

William,

I’m with the others, shouldn’t be an issue provided you remain clean AND get your story straight. “I made a hot-headed mistake” and “I was innocent” doesn’t really jive.

Adam

I agree Adam it was a mistake I was only answering Chris’s question if it was dismissed because I was innocent or had to go through a program like probation. Hannah I’m just instructing in a 172 to build time! Thank y’all very much for the advice truly appreciated!

-Will