Going to the majors

If I want to become an airline pilot, is it possible to go straight to the majors or do I have to do regional first? if so what more do I have to do to become a major?

Braden,

Let me ask you a question? You’re on the hiring panel for a Major airline. An airline with planes worth hundreds of thousands of dollars that carries 300 passengers, flies around the globe to international destinations in every conceivable landscape and you need a pilot to pay $100k to start. Would you want the pilot who just broke 1500hrs flight instructing, banner towing or maybe flying light cargo in a Cessna OR the Regional Capt with 5000hrs flying a jet around North America AS an airline pilot?

Flying for a Major airline is the pinnacle of our profession and many never make it. It’s a position that needs to be earned.

Adam

1 Like

Braden,
With the recent announcements for the ATP direct to Sun Country and Frontier, yes it is possible to go direct to a LCC but most do go through the regionals first. Those programs are new and competitive but still possible. If you’re only considering aviation though if you can shortcut and make it to a major right out of 1500 hours, you may want to consider if you want this career at all. There will be times you have to “put in your dues”, flight instructing, flying at a regional, etc.

-Hannah

1 Like

Braden,

As Hannah pointed out, there are now direct entry programs to major airlines like Frontier and Sun Country. The legacy majors, such as Delta, American, etc, will still want to see a significant amount of jet time, usually built as an RJ pilot.

Chris

Ok, but I’d I do go into regional first but then want to be in the majors, what requirements do I need to become a major?

Braden,

The majors typically want to see several years of regional airline experience, coupled with thousands of hours of flight time and most often, a college degree. It can take several years of flying and building experience before a major airline will even consider an applicant.

Chris

Braden,

Just to add, the majors also want to see a minimum of 1000 hours of turbine PIC operated under part 121 regulations.

Tory

Hi, I am looking to start a career in aviation. I am 21 and have two years of college under my belt. My specific question today is if having had a medical marijuana card when I was 18 will prevent me from ever working at a major? Looking back now, having realized my dream of becoming a pilot I am worried a bone headed choice when I was a kid could ruin my future. I have gotten my first class medical cert. I got the med card to avoid prescription pain killers after a major surgery. I didn’t find much help from the card. It helped with pain a bit but it made me anxious and uncomfortable. I hardly used any marijuana, and I haven’t since I was 18. I’ve never gotten in trouble with the law for drugs or alcohol and have no issues with substance abuse. If I apply for a major or regional or CFI job even, will they look that far back in my history and will it prevent me from moving forward?
Thank you for the help.

Andrew,

My first question is did you disclose your marijuana use on your First Class medical application. If you didn’t you’ve already got an issue as this needs to be. If you’re no longer using or have the card you should be fine but again I’d be more concerned with your medical.

The FAA audits these things and when they find it, and they will, if you’re flying for an airline and get your medical pulled then you will have a problem.

Adam

Andrew,
On the MedXpress form you filled out prior to seeing an AME, it asks about any drug use. When Adam asked if you disclosed it, this is where we are talking. If you had, you would have to go through a few more hoops typically through the HIMS program to secure that first class medical. If you glazed over it and didn’t disclose, you’re going to need to correct it.
Once you disclose it and secure the medical, it shouldn’t effect the rest of your career as long as your transparent and honest when asked about it.

Thank you Adam and Hannah, I am very grateful for your help.
When I filled out my Med Xpress I did it honestly, even had a 777 pilot friend help me with it as I was worried about this specifically. In the medical history section of the form it says “Substance dependence or failed a drug test ever; or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the last 2 years.” It has been over 2 years since I’ve used marijuana and I certainly never had dependence or used it at risk of my own or others safety. I never renewed the card and no longer have it. I have never failed a drug test and never will. Do you think I was dishonest? Is use over 2 years ago something I am required to disclose in the general explanations section? And if so, how should I move forward? The absolute last thing I want is to apply for a commercial job and have this pop up and ruin all the hard work put in to get there.
Thanks again,
Andrew

Andrew,

I was not referring to the substance abuse question but to the “HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE” and then “other sickness, illness or surgery”. You said you mj card was to manage pain after “major surgery” so the answer is yes. At that point they’ll ask for details at which point the mj card should be disclosed.

Adam

Adam,

I did disclose and discuss my surgery on my form and with my AME. I see "HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE” above the section that includes the substance abuse/illegal drug question. That question is the only part of the application that asks about drug use. I guess I am confused by the “use of illegal substance in the last 2 years” included underneath. Am I wrong to understand this section as “HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU PRESENTLY HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING? 18 n. Substance dependence or failed a drug test ever; or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the last 2 years” (All of which I copy and pasted from the form) Since I haven’t used illegal drugs in the past 2 years I don’t have to check yes. And when disclosing on the form and discussing with my AME my surgery there is no question about pain medication during or post op. I understand how this is a tough topic and that there is absolute zero tolerance for drug and dishonesty throughout all aviation levels. I am not trying to dodge the truth, only answer honestly. Thank you for working through this with me.

Andrew

You are correct there is no question on the form about pain medication post op. I am no AME but I did recently have surgery and I was required to provide an Operation Report which included all the details of my surgery (incl post op medication). I was told by my AME this is to ensure full disclosure. If your AME did not that’s between you and him. I also know, as I’ve seen, these things have a way of popping up. My question for you is do you think this is something the FAA would like to know?

Adam