Gold Teeth

I literally have a mouth full of solid gold teeth. Would this pose a problem of any kind?

Dylan,

That’s an interesting question? While I’ve never seen anything specifically pertaining to “gold teeth” (or grills), all airlines have uniform policies that restrict wearing “gaudy or ostentatious” jewelry, and I think that could possibly apply?

Adam

1 Like

If so, verbiage is crucial. The gold in my mouth is not worn; they are my teeth and not able to be taken out. I understand not “wearing” gaudy jewelry, but I think the reference would better fit an accessory that would be looked down upon as a tasteless appearance. Gold is a precious metal, but my teeth are necessary and they were professionally done by a dentist.

I sincerely hope it doesn’t affect my opportunity.

Dylan,

Respectfully verbage really isn’t that crucial. The reality is our profession is still very conservative and right or wrong, people have a certain perception of what they think a pilot should look like. The final decision will come down to a hiring board which will consist of pilots. While they may not be able to point specifically to a uniform disqualifier (like your face tattoos), the fact is they can simply say they don’t feel you “fit” with their culture. Further, unless you’ve got a 100% perfect record (training and background wise), a reason can always be found that won’t point to your appearance.

Long short, I think you’re going to have a problem.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the heads up sir. God Bless

Dylan,

Besides the honest truth of what Adam has said, look at social media for example, how many pilots have you seen with a ‘mouth full of gold’? The perception of a pilot is one of authority, responsibility and professionalism. I’m not sure how gold teeth would fit the culture of being a pilot besides reaching out to a few recruiters and getting their opinion.

This is a very interesting topic and I’d like to know what they follow up with, if you do decide to reach out to recruiting teams.

Brady

1 Like

Ok, where should I begin?

Thank you so much for your very helpful response and thank you so much for enlightening me about the pilot career “culture”. However, I believe such a responsibility should actually be based on merits, equivalency, aptitude, honesty and many more good qualities that have absolutely nothing to do with gold teeth. I have owned and operated a skilled licensed Assisted Living Facility as well as Nurse Registry and Private group home. I have owned and operated a licensed Property Preservation Co. I have owned and operated ADT Home security Authorized dealerships and I currently drive a gas tanker; I know a little thing or two of responsibility and authority, maybe even more than you sir, I dare to say. Please do not write off my good qualities simply because of my gold teeth sir. No offense taken. God Bless.

P.S

Dylan my friend,

Let’s take a step back for a minute. No one on this forum has questioned who you are as a person, your character, integrity or what your capabilities might be. BUT, we’re also not here to paint rainbows and unicorns as that helps no one. Let’s also remember YOU came on this forum asking if your ink and teeth would be a problem? You recognized as soon as you started thinking about a career in aviation this could be an issue, despite your hopes, and you were right (you’re not a stupid guy).

Dylan there’s a reason ALL pilots wear essentially the same uniform. The airlines understand that the flying public has an inherent fear of flying and when they look upfront to the cockpit they want to see a generic, (and what they perceive as) professional looking individual. In a perfect world you’d be right and we’d all be judged on our merits, apptitude, character, etc etc etc, but we don’t live in a perfect world do we? I’ll go even further at the risk of (though not intending to) offending you. No one (hopefully) put a gun to your head to get your tattoos or gold teeth (or did your dentist run out of porcelain?). Using my decades old Psych 101 training, YOU made these decisions, at least in part, to set yourself apart from the status quo. You did not want to appear generic. Problem is that’s not what the flying public wants and the airlines know it. Airlines after all are a business. While they can run all the commercials they want about diversity, being more climate friendly, connecting loved ones, bla bla bla let’s not kid ourselves, they’re in this to make money. This isn’t just about grandma take a peek upfront and not liking your grill, no this goes further. It’s about you having a really bad day at work. When pilots have a bad day at work we end up on the 6 o’clock news and the fact is, even if you did everything right, plastered across every TV, and iPhone will be the worst possible picture they can find of you looking as gangsta as possible. The lawyers would have a field day.

I understand your frustration and if you truly want to fly there may be opportunities out there but right now, at this time, it will not be with the airlines. But I think you kinda knew that didn’t you?

Peace out and Bless you too sir,

Adam

5 Likes

Dylan,

I don’t believe there was any intention to offend you. It’s not about whether we agree with those policies or not, it’s just a matter of fact right now.

Appearance standards are dated but if you want to be a pilot, you need to make sure you adapt to fit them. Some people have tattoos and have to figure out ways to remove or cover them. Other people love their beards and have to get rid of them. Your teeth are a unique situation. Understand they are permanent but getting veneers that are natural-looking might have to be a talking point if you get pushback from recruiters.

Hannah

1 Like