Hawaiian Airlines Hiring

Hello, I am wondering if anyone (cough, Adam, cough, cough…) has any advice on Hawaiian Airlines’ hiring process and what the best steps are to begin being integrated in to their system? I am currently in the crew stage at ATP and would love to fly for Hawaiian. I am sure I am not alone in this, and I am wondering if I should even pursue them as I do not have a degree and am 42 years old (never thought of myself as old until I began my journey in aviation and now I feel like a grandpa! Haha!). Just looking for a reality check if needed, and a little mentoring on pointing me in the right path and timing. Any help is much appreciated, thank you!!

Dane,

While Hawaiian, like all Majors, have relaxed their degree requirement, they still like one. That said I have seen people hired without. The big thing is they want to see mainland Regional experience. If you’re thinking of going another route (corp or 135) and you want to come to HAL, I wouldn’t.

Adam

Thank you Adam, I am planning on going regional then to the majors, wasn’t sure if Hawaiian had a preferred regional or pathway?

Dane,

We do hire quite a few from SkyWest but I’m not certain that’s not more a matter of logistics? Many locals fly for SkyWest due to their West Coast bases so it could simply be that?

Also Hawaiian does not like checkride busts so you def need to keep those to a minimum.

Adam

Thank you Adam. No busts yet :crossed_fingers:

Hi there !

New on this blog, just wondering how this acquisition from Alaska Airlines is seen from inside. I have been hearing different opinions. Some good some not so good especially for potential new hires with very low seniority.

Any thoughts?
Thank you

Cristiano,

How the merger will eventually turn out is anyone’s guess. That said the consensus seems to be its a good thing. Alaska is a good airline with a good reputation. Only thing is many of our native Hawaiian employees are bummed as this was THEIR airline and regardless of what the new airline is called moving forward, it will no longer be an “Hawaiian” airline.

As for newhire impressions that too varies. Id say the biggest concern is their desire to fly a widebody sooner than later. One of the draws that brought many pilots to Hawaiian was the fact that almost half our fleet are widebody airplanes. That meant your chances of getting hired directly on to a widebody were pretty good (and even if you weren’t, chances were you could get to one after about 2yrs when your seat lock is up). Now we’ll be adding about 3,000 pilots and another 200+ airplanes but none of Alaska’s fleet are widebody. That means your chances of getting on a widebody as a junior pilot will be significantly decreased.

Again this is all speculative and we’ll all have to see how it shakes out. Myself I’m optimistic and think it’s a good thing long term.

Adam

Adam

Adam,

Many thanks for the reply. That’s my concern exactly. I’m in the pool waiting for a class date.
I have been flying wife body most of my career and I would love to stay on it.
I know the acquisition is not closed yet so I might not be affected at the beginning. Not sure about the future.

Thank you again !