Headset recommendation

Yeah, I wondered that, given the cost. Are there any others you would recommend that would go the long-haul? I sort of see these things as an investment in the future, like the Bose, while I’m still earning an income going into this

Not a flashlight expert. Nor do I own any besides the two I mentioned. I just did a quick search on the Night Guard, saw the price and the 3 out of 5 star review. I just have the same mindset as you when it comes to things that I know I will use often. I usually buy the one that will last a lifetime (or at least that’s the goal as nothing these days is built to last anymore). I honestly don’t know enough about the Night Guard. For all I know it’ll do just fine. If it were me though I’d dig a little deeper into my pockets so to speak and find one with better reviews.

I take a different stance than Adam on rechargeable devices. I always kept a rechargeable battery pack in my flight bag in case of emergencies which was everyday with my old iPad Mini. The battery life was horrible.

Even to this day I carry a rechargeable battery pack. It’s actually considered required equipment for us to have on us while flying.

My Mag Pro also uses rechargeable batteries (purchased separately). One charge lasts 3-6 months depending on how often I’m flying at night.

It all depends on you as a person. Are you the type of person that will check your charges on your electronic devices including your backups? Or are you the type of person that feels more comfortable knowing that you have a fresh pair of batteries in your bag at all times? To each their own. I see benefits to both. Obviously I just like the rechargeable stuff because I don’t like buying batteries all the time.

For those that have the Bose headsets and would like a recommendation on rechargeable batteries for it, I recommend Panasonic Eneloop Pro. Panasonic BK-3HCCA8BA eneloop pro AA High Capacity Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 8 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MXCIK32/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_MJS517BC8XKY6SNMJZ0T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
My original set lasted 5 years before they stopped holding a charge. Worth every penny if you ask me.

Tory

Hi Tory,

Thank you so much for the detailed response; it is really appreciated. As I have mentioned to Hannah, Chris, and Adam, the fact that all of your are willing to volunteer your time and experience, is a real asset to those of us who want to pursue an aviation career.

Thanks for the suggestion to research the Night Guard. I will read up on that. I am also looking at Fenix, which is what Chris uses, and will also do some research on the SureFire brand. The only problem I see with SureFire is that they use their own specific lithium batteries, which are quite expensive in addition to the hefty price tag of the flashlight itself.

I also want to thank you for your thoughts on the rechargeable batteries, particularly the one for the Bose. I tend to be a little OCD, so checking that my electronics are all charged, and that I have a backup in my flight bag is very much inline with my personality. Much appreciated!

Have a great week.

Finn

1 Like

This headset debate between Bose and David Clarke’s will forever be a debate, ha. I personally don’t mind my David Clarke’s, the other day I flew 9.5 hours and I didn’t feel bad.

IF you decide to get Bose or any battery-powered headset for ANR be cautious, I would HIGHLY recommend carrying extra batteries. The other day I did an instructor a favor and ferried his student to another location for a checkride, long behold in cruise his batteries died and the student started panicking. Nothing like showing up to the checkride with dead batteries and now thinking where could I find batteries…thankfully another instructor had a spare set and gave them to him.

Brady

Hi Brady,

Sound advice on the batteries; thank you for sharing! Always better to be over, rather than, under-prepared.

Too bad we can’t ‘test-drive’ before we buy when it comes to headsets.

Safe flying!

Finn

Hi Finn,

I use a Nitecore Nu25. It’s a compact rechargeable headlamp that has a red light function. There are other models available and many other brands with similar products. This one is one of the smaller ones I found.

I also have a handful of different flashlights including a few from Fenix, Nitecore, and Jetbeam that will light up something on the other side of a football field. Seems the gadget affliction is common in this crowd.

Alex

Finn, check with Sporty’s, I think they run a 30-day program or something along those lines…

Brady

Awesome… thanks, Bradley. I’ll check and let everyone know what I find.

Finn,

This one. I like how bright and compact it is. I also like the serrated edge around the lens which helps in fighting back should you ever find yourself in a self defense situation.

Chris

Seriously? First you guys are really putting too much thought into this item. Second, either I’m cheap or you’re getting paid too much but here’s what I’ve got and I’ve never had an issue. Costco rocks!

Adam

Adam,

I take exterior lighting seriously. 500 lumens does not begin to cut it. I have been thinking of taking it up to 9,000 lumens with this unit:

Clearly you do. Are you mining for gold?

Adam

Yeah but the Fenix comes with a rechargeable battery! :nerd_face::astonished::wink:

You aviation nerds are killing me!

Adam

3 Likes

Adam,

To bring this full circle back to headsets (kind of): just like getting a Bose, the first time you get a high quality flashlight, you will think to yourself, “why did I waste so much money on the cheap stuff before”. :nerd_face:

Alex

Alex,

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I wear my headset everyday I fly. I pull out my flashlight once a year at Recurrent Training to show the check airman I have one and it works.

Adam

Adam,

Serious questions. Do you not fly at night? Do you not do walk around inspections?

A significant portion of our flights originate at night and I do half of the walk arounds as a courtesy to my FOs, thus I use my flashlight many times per month.

Also, for wing contamination checks, even when at the gate, I find that a powerful flashlight makes it much easier to ascertain if any contaminants are adhering to the wing. Clearly this would not apply to Hawaiian operations, but it does to just about every other US airline.

Interestingly enough, we are not required to bring our flashlights to our recurrent training. We used to be, but when the flight cases went away in favor of iPads, we looked a bit strange carrying flashlights into the sim building.

Chris

Serious answer. First I only do am’s so no I don’t fly at night and on the very rare occasion I start really early AND it’s still dark out AND I take the walk around my 500 lumens (or whatever it is) works just fine. I also don’t wear glasses nor have I had lasik so I’m thinking my 20/15 serves me well :slight_smile:

Adam

This is probably the most passionate conversation about a flashlight I have ever seen…. Haha
I’ve had the ASA Flightlight 3 since my private and I still love it! Only used it for a few night flights as a student and several as an instructor but it always did the job! I like that it’s compact for fitting in my flight bag, has three different color options (red&green) with no additional attachments needed, is rugged, battery last long and is weather proof! Oh and it’s only $16!

Here’s the link to check it out:

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/11338?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu7OIBhCsARIsALxCUaMimeqRmsu65_OebsXubKneyldDd_Ci4OBSjKO9vZUE0s4ZmQSP4ysaAqMuEALw_wcB

-Hannah

1 Like

So I think we can settle this one out that if you have super human vision and fly for an airline that offers day only flights, the cheap Costco flashlight will work just great. If you are a mere mortal like the rest of us, and work for just about any other airline in the US, you might desire to have a more powerful flashlight.

1 Like