Health insurance during school

So I recently had to go to the hospital and it occurred to me that I haven’t the slightest clue what kind of health insurance is offered or available for students at ATP, can anyone enlighten me on this? And if anyone knows, the costs for it in the Dallas Texas area.

Jacob,

ATP does not offer health insurance, you will need to seek an outside source of insurance.

Chris

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cobra from your current insurance?

Adam

Guess I’ll have to do more research. I’m currently on insurance through my employer with united healthcare. And I’ll be honest, I haven’t the slightest clue what cobra is.

The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (or COBRA) is a law passed by the U.S. Congress on a reconciliation basis and signed by President Ronald Reagan that, among other things, mandates an insurance program which gives some employees the ability to continue health insurance coverage after leaving.

I’ll look into it, thank you Adam, I started reading up on it. I wouldn’t have even known about it if you hadn’t said something.

When you leave your current job they are required by law to go over and explain COBRA with your exit package. You will need to select it and pay the premiums to be covered.

Just an FYI, not every employer is required to offer COBRA and the premiums can be very expensive.

Yeah I’ve been looking into it, and Its looking like a lot of money. I’ll look at my options and see what else is available

Yeah, it usually is not very cheap at all. Be sure to check into whether or not having a qualifying plan under the AFA will affect your taxes too.

Will do thank you for the information.

COBRA is stupid expensive. I think Marketplace or Medicaid are your only options. I have the same thing to look forward to so I don’t envy you.

Yeah I kind of figured, the reward will be worth it in the end. Just have to make it happen.