Highschool to ATP?

Hello, I am currently 15 years old and am hoping to solo within the year. I am also in 11th grade(I was able to start early and I also got ahead) Right now, I have a good friend who actually lives right down the road from me who is a Southwest Airline Pilot who owns a Cessna 172. (He is also an A/P, flight instructor) He has taken an interest in me and is giving me free flight time in his plane. I have gotten to the point now where I can takeoff, perform various ground reference maneuvers, stalls, steep turns and land. After each flight he signs my logbook and so far I have 25 hours logged. FOR FREE, and I can’t even solo yet because of my age! He has agreed to give me flight training when I am eligible, and after that, I hope to get my PPL. I was wondering what imput you guys have for me as far as attending ATP. Their fast track program sounds great to me as I live not far from one of their locations. Any suggestions what to do after I get out of hightschool?
Thanks much!
Shawn

1 Like

Shawn,

We ALWAYS recommend college after HS. The Major airlines desire a 4yr degree and it’s always good to have a backup in case flying doesn’t work out. If you graduate at 16 it would be 5 yrs before you could fly for an airline. Might as well put that time to good use.

Adam

1 Like

Yes, I agree. My neighbor became an A/P to fall back on if he would not be able to fly for the airlines in the future say for a medical condition or something. He could still work turning wrenches. I’m thinking that’s what I might do as well…

Shawn

Shawn,

Nothing wrong with being an A&P but the Majors want a 4yr degree, not an A&P certificate. Unless you’re applying for a mechanic position.

Adam

Hmmm…maybe you read me wrong, or I wasn’t very clear.
I’m hoping to get a 4 year degree but I was thinking of getting my A&P license on the side for my backup plan. Does that make sense? Would that be beneficial?

Shawn

Shawn,

You can do as you like but I’d make college, flight training and building hours my priority if you want to fly for the airlines. If you’ve got extra time in there then sure.

Adam

1 Like

Adam

[](https://airlinepilot.life/u/adam)

Pilot Mentor

January 15

Shawn, has always

You can do as you like but I’d make college, flight training and building hours my priority if you want to fly for the airlines. If you’ve got extra time in there then sure.

Adam

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Bell47

[Shawn M. Forry](https://airlinepilot.life/u/bell47)

January 15

Hmmm…maybe you read me wrong, or I yiwasn’t very clear. I’m hoping to get a 4 year degree but I was thinking of getting my A&P license on the side for my backup plan. Does that make sense? Would that be beneficial? Shawn

:cowboy_hat_face:Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list People oz zzz

keTo unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Okay, thanks for the advice!

Shawn

Shawn,

I have never understood why pilots get the A&P license. They are two very different jobs with very different pay scales. They really have far less to do with each other than most people seem to think. I personally would get a college degree in business. or something else that could pay well, then get your pilots licenses. I would not spend one minute or one dollar on getting an A&P.

Now the free flight training you have at your disposal sounds pretty cool. I am glad that you are able to take advantage of that. It is a huge gift that you neighbor is giving you.

Chris

1 Like

Shawn,

To follow up with Chris, a ‘business’ degree is probably one of the most simplistic degrees you can get and still do a ton of things if anything falls through. For example, I currently am a banker prior to my entry into ATP and I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing…granted some of my banking experience I use marketing for product placement, but I don’t use everything from my marketing degree such as financial and accounting principals for clients.

Brady