Route to flight School

Hi I’m highschool Junior and I’m going to school working on getting my A&P certification as well as I just got my private pilot license last weekend! I am now looking into starting my instrument rating within the next few months before I plan on to go to flight school after highschool. I was wondering if I could get some advice on what to do since I don’t graduate til 2021!

Thanks!

Jack,

Not sure what exactly you’re asking? If you’re planning on going to ATP then there’s really no point in getting you’re Instrument rating prior. If you’re not and you’re planning on training one rating at a time, while generally not recommended, if that works for you then you just keep going.

Really need to know more about what you’re thinking moving forward before we can offer advice.

Adam

Hi Adam! Sorry for the confusion! I was wondering about if I were to go ATP route if getting my instrument rating would be recommended or if I should just continue to build my hours until flight school! Also I’ve been asking all the pilots I know for their opinion on whether going part 61 or part 141 is the way to go! So the advice I’m looking for is the best route to getting all my ratings once I graduate highschool.

Jack,

If your plan is to go to ATP, I would not spend any money or time on your instrument rating as you will receive all of that training while at ATP.

I have to ask, why are you planning on getting an A&P certificate if your goal is to be an airline pilot?

Chris

Sounds good, thank you for the info sir!! But I’m working on getting my A&P while I’m in highschool since all the costs are covered for my the district so I get the certification for free all I have to do is take the tests.

~ Jack

Also then I would have something to fall back on if I were ever to lose my medical!

Jack,

Sounds like a good plan. As Chris said, save your money on the IR. Work hard and do well in HS.

Adam

Jack,

That makes sense now, no reason not to get the A&P. Make sure that college is somewhere in your long term plan as the majors will want to see a four year degree.

Chris