HIMS Psychiatric Evaluation

Dr. Bruce Chien tells me he was instrumental in getting the SSRI protocol approved with the FAA. (SSRIs are a class of anti-depressant meds, for those who don’t know.) I emailed him this morning and he replied:

“There are 630 pilots flying on the SSRI protocol. About 60% are employed pilots.”

Not a huge number but it is possible.

1 Like

Nate,

Interesting, I was not aware of that. Thank you for sharing it.

Chris

Hello all, especially @nschwab I am also looking for some advice on the HIMS evaluation, although my situation is a bit different. 10 years ago (17 years old) I was charged and convicted of a misdemeanor possession of marijuana charge. I have no record since. My goal is to attend ATP in May starting from zero time. So far my loans have been approved and my intro flight for ATP is next weekend. All other prerequisites for the program are met and now I am just waiting on my first class medical. Anyways I got a letter from the FAA stating I need to perform a drug test within 48 hours of receiving the notification (done and sent to FAA). Also I need to get a HIMS psychiatric eval. I have support of my local AME however they have been slow to respond to me.

I am looking for recommendations on how to move forward, particularly recommendations for an examiner since time is of the essence! Perhaps I could get in contact with an office that might not recommend needing an eval, I’m not sure! ( I am located in Michigan but willing to travel )

Well the FAA has a list of AMEs on their website so you could try A different one maybe? Also as far as the psych eval, I believe you will need a referral from an AME since I don’t think the FAA publishes the list of nuero psychologists.

@SunDevil91, https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

Shaun,

I suggest calling the FAA and asking them for a list of people that are able to perform the HIMS eval. Your local examiner will most likely not be able to do so.

There will be no avoiding the eval. If the FAA asked for it, you either go through the process or don’t get the medical certificate.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses. I went to a local AME that came highly recommended by my childhood friend (now United Captain.) Already paid them what I guess you would call a “consulting” fee, so I’m not keen on looking elsewhere quite yet. I was told they would be an intermediary between the FAA and myself. Although they have been responsive and helpful on all other topics, I can’t seem to get quick or straight answers for the HIMS eval. I will keep following up this week…

https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator So to find a HIMS AME you can still use this site and after u select AME, u put in your location and whatnot and then select designation type at the bottom, and choose HIMS. The HIMS AME won’t be the one who does the psych ever though. That will end up being someone else

Shaun,

You paid the first AME for the rest of your medical exam, things such as vision, hearing, general health, etc. Make no mistake, this HIMS process is going to cost you a fair amount of money. I have heard of this costing well over $1,000.

Chris

I believe it’s the same thing/similar you do for ADHD and it runs anywhere from 1500 to 3000- maybe more, and insurance won’t cover it.

Appreciate the input Joshua and Chris. According to the locator my AME is a HIMS AME. I’m aware of the potential cost (unfortunately) and although disappointing it’s worth the money to get my training and career started. I emailed their office yesterday and will follow up with a call tomorrow. Perhaps I’m being impatient with them, but it’s my #1 priority at the moment. The news came from the FAA Wednesday last week (02/05)

Shaun,

This sounds pretty straight forward. I had to see a HIMS AME and also receive a psych eval from a board certified psychiatrist. I found the HIMS AME and psych online. I explained why I was there, I showed them the letter from the FAA, they understood what they needed to do and they typed up their results of our appointment. They sent me the results and I sent the FAA the information requested. A few months later my 1st Class Medical arrived in the mail.

My advice to you is if your AME is not a HIMS AME, schedule an appointment with a HIMS AME. There’s no point in waiting around for your current AME to do this for you.

Tory

I just saw your most recent response. Good to know your AME is HIMS. In the meantime can you schedule your psych eval?

Tory

Hi Tory,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It helps knowing there are others who have navigated this process successfully. I don’t believe there is any reason for me to be concerned, but the unknown is always nerve wracking. I was able to speak with my case manager at my HIMS AME very briefly last Wednesday and there were several psychiatrists they mentioned… however it was a very short conversation which I need more follow up from them on. I’ll be attempting to contact them over the next few days for some more concrete information. Their office just seems so hard to get timely responses from, but I’ll give them a few days… the “few months later” is my concern since I’m trying to plan my move from MI to Mesa, AZ (spring was the original plan). A lot goes in to moving across the country.

So why do you have to see one of the psychiatrists that they recommend? What does your letter from the FAA say?

Tory

Update from today: making some headway. My AME reached out to me and stated they are looking for psychiatrists in my (somewhat) local area with availability. They should have some options for me within the next few days.I may have to drive up to 5-6 hours in order to get in soon, but I’m happy to do so if that’s what it takes. The feedback I have gotten from everyone has been very helpful so thanks once again.

1 Like

Shaun,

Glad to hear. Let us know how it goes, please.

Chris

Good luck, Shaun.

Nate; any news on your progress?

The HIMS process is indeed complex, and has a variety of pitfalls, typically when pilots give more information than is required. There is an excellent book on the topic entitled, “The HIMS Nightmare.” It is available on Amazon or at himsnightmare.com where you can also find a variety of resources for HIMS participants and people being thrust into the program.