HIMS Psychiatric Evaluation

Hi Tory, I’m having a similar experience and was wondering how to chat with you one-on-one with some advice/expectations on the matter.

James,

As a rule, I like to keep my advice and mentorship out in the open on the forum because if you have a question, it’s likely that someone else has the same question. I’ve been very honest about my situation with those that have asked and I’ve briefly disclosed my situation in my bio. As a pilot, and not an AME, I can really only give advice based on my own experiences. Other than that, I usually defer everything else directly to an AME as that’s really the most appropriate advice since everyone’s situation is different.

Tory

Hey Nate!

I cant tell you how frustrating the situation is! I’m basically in the same boat as you. I’m on an SSRI and it took me 2 years to have everything approved by the FAA. My AME took forever to send all my paper work in and then the FAA ultimately lost my paper work. Had I not been following up on a daily basis I don’t think anything would have happened. After I recieved my approval I was told I had to go see all my doctors again because they had taken so long my medical had expired. So it cost me a nice chunk of change to renew everything again. Also for the record if I want to keep a 1st medical it cost me roughly 4k a year between all the doctors visits. It’s a HUGE pill to swallow. I am about to take my check ride for my PPL but I don’t know if I can continue to swallow that kind of money on a yearly basis. It makes me sick!

Reading all these post I hear a recurring theme. I’m also thinking there’s a cautionary tale and a moral in here somewhere…

Adam

Checking in 7 months later. It’s been a LONG, still ongoing process. Luckily I’ve been working through COVID, paid off all debt and saved some money, all of which will put me in a better position to start flight training in 2021. Recap on the past 7 months :
I saw the HIMS psychiatrist on April 30
FAA denied First Class Medical June 28 due to prior prior alcohol abuse. As a note on this, I was not aware any substance abuse is viewed as a chronic condition, regardless of current use. Learned this the hard way.
Enjoyed my last beer on July 14th before starting an alcohol treatment program, which I finished several weeks ago. I’m waiting on the next “direction” from the FAA after submitting the documentation and I’ve set up an agreement with the program to continue random weekly testing for the foreseeable future. On that note I truly feel after this hurdle there is nothing else standing in my way.
My story has turned into an enduring one, but when it’s all said and done I’m hoping it will be a successful one! I am hoping the next news will be a special issuance license and I can begin planning a training start date with certainty. Just wanted to share with people on this forum, I appreciate the support.

1 Like

Shaun,

Have you also contacted any regional airlines to see how they will look upon your situation? I would hate to see you spend all of this time and money to get through the FAA, to still have the airlines not be willing to hire you? I strongly recommend you make that call.

Chris

Chris,

Appreciate your insight. Interestingly enough, I have no criminal record as my misdemeanors (2) are from over 10 years ago and have since been expunged. Therefore I have no legal obligation to disclose to future employers. I did however disclose to the FAA, which has led me down a long road. Does that change your perspective at all? By the time I reach that point in my aviation career I will have a standard first class medical.

Shaun, thanks for checking in. I know this process is time consuming, but there’s some things I want you to consider about what you just said.

Actually you didn’t. This way is better. This goes for anything that the FAA sees as a potential risk because if they don’t, the real “hard way,” is the potential catastrophic outcome of granting a medical certificate to someone that shouldn’t have been given one, or at least not without a special issuance or a “random weekly test.”

Except the FAA knows and any company you apply to fly for will know because they all ask “Have you ever been…” And they know the answer even before they ask because of the background check they run. So, expunged or not, there is no way around this. You absolutely have an obligation to disclose any and all information that might draw attention in the event something happens to you on the job. Even if it’s something minor. There’s always a chance that the public will find out that the pilot in question also had a criminal record that he didn’t disclose, for example.

I would be careful using this kind of language. You need to work on getting a medical certificate first.

Shaun, listen. I know you want this badly and I know that I am an inspiration to you. But my experience with my HIMS is my own. I have given you all the advice that I can based on my own experience. I’m not the one to tell you yes or no. Even if I did I can’t make any guarantees. You’re already entrenched in the process. You just have to wait and see. Moving forward, focus on one step at a time.

Tory

Tory/Chris,

You guys have very solid advise and accurate statements. I don’t mean to get ahead of myself here by wearing rose colored glasses. As you said, one step at a time. That’s the path I’ve been walking and will continue to walk. I’ll never pick up a single drink again in my life if that’s what needs to happen. That’s how dedicated I’ve become to making my dream a reality. I’ll leave it at that for now and come back to the forum once I have the ability to take more action.

Shaun

2 Likes

Shaun,

Agreed. Just focus on doing the right things. If you do the right things, it may work out. If it doesn’t, that would be a bummer, but at least you did the right things.

Tory

Shaun,

You do have a criminal record as the FAA asks about arrests and “have you ever…” Even though your record is technically expunged on the state level, the crime and a record of it still exists and the feds are not bound by state decisions. The feds know about your record and you will have to answer truthfully. Same thing with the airlines because guess who does their background checks for them? So no, this does not change my perspective one bit.

You might have a standard first class medical, you might not. Even if you do, you will still need to answer the application questions honestly and by honest I mean that they did happen, not that some technicality allows you to answer that they didn’t, even though they did.

Again, I would highly recommend contacting a few airlines.

Chris

Nate,
Sounds like you and I are in a somewhat similar situation, except in my case I never stopped taking the meds even though my current doctors are saying I probably could have, in hindsight. (I’ve been on the minimum dosage for years). I’m also going through the process for reconsideration after being initially denied medical certificate. 18 months so far, and more to go, but my (hopefully) last major & expensive step is meeting with Dr Bob (Robert) Elliott (right by LAX) next month. Another aviation psychologist (in Wyoming) recommended him to me. After our phone call, I can see why. Apparently he was one of the 3 doctors that basically wrote the SSRI protocol (I’m guessing he worked with Dr. Chien on it) and is senior consultant to the FAA. I also hope he can clear up some information that I’ve been told by some throughout this whole process that hasn’t always been accurate.

This whole process has probably been the most frustrating and expensive thing I’ve ever been involved in. I just keep trying to remind myself that at least there’s a process for guys like you and me now, as before about 2010ish, we’d have just been flat-out denied.

It’s been quite a learning experience for sure…and here I thought there were different reasons for the pilot shortage LOL!!
-Eric-

Ten months from the time I voluntarily surrendered my original medical. About 5-6 months after all paperwork was submitted to the FAA.

Tory

Yes. All medical deferrals do, I believe.

Tory

Eric - did you end up receiving a SSRI SI?

@SunDevil91 did you make your dream happen?
This post is over 3 years from now, hope you did brother!

Hey Zacharia,
I don’t frequent the forum but I happened to log on this evening!
I am working on the dream! Currently a lead instructor at ATP - about half way to ATP mins.
It took me a very long time (about 1.5 years) but I eventually got a special issuance medical which I maintain currently. I finished the ATP program in 8 months and have been instructing for about a year. The path I had to take (HIMS) was, and continues to be, arduous. But I have done a lot of personal development and self reflection over these past few years and it’s 1000% worth it.

1 Like

Hearing your story gives me hope, I had a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge from 5 years ago(also when I was 17), I’m willing to go through the HIMS process but didn’t want to proceed if there wasnt any hope of being issued my class 1, Ive been emailing Dr. Chien back and forth and looking to go see him sometime this summer when he gets some openings. Thanks for sharing your story through the years !

Corban,

Every situation is different. The only way you will know for sure is to meet with the AME and start the process. It can take months so best to start as soon as possible.

Hannah