Hiring

Hey, It’s Mohsina. I am currently in High School. Actually, I aspire to become a Commercial Pilot and I have a lot of questions about it and that is why I felt like I can share my questions and concern in this community here.
So, Does American Airlines would ever want to hire a Muslim with a headscarf on?

I have been thinking about this and for the most part, I feel positive about it that they will hire me as long as I have the qualifications, but I still feel like if all those things with 9/11 and the way Muslims get a portrait in the media and crazy Airport Security checks scars me that The American Airlines might don’t want to take that risk that I might make those tiny amounts of people feel uncomfortable around me. I am not intending to offend anyone, it was a concern since in the past I have faced Religious Discrimination in the Train and shockingly nobody stands up for me that’s why if I am sounding bitter then I just want to clarify that the way my perspective was shaped was due to the experience that I had.

Any Mentors/Pilots response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

At the present time, I am not aware of any US airline that allows pilots to wear headscarves or any other religious wear.

1 Like

I’m not an airline pilot, but my background is risk management so I feel pretty confident in the following. This is something you might consider. Airlines are strict about what happens in the cockpit. Safety and the ability to perform the duties of a pilot are paramount. If a scarf interferes with your ability to perform the job in a safe manner then that is something to seriously consider since your faith means that much to you. That being said, airlines cannot discriminate based on religion in the hiring process (obviously), but anything that interferes or could interfere with flying puts you, the crew and passengers at risk. If an incident occurs during a flight, the NTSB will want to know if there was anything that interfered with your ability to, first and foremost, pilot the aircraft. This is not meant to deter you in any way. Who knows! You might be a breakthrough in the industry someday.

1 Like

Mohsina,

Airlines have very strict uniform policies all of which prohibit “headwear”, particular anything that covers your ears. I don’t see that changing in the future.

Adam

1 Like

Thank You…I thought that there might not be anyone like that too.

Thanks a lot for your response to my question and especially because you have a background with Security management at the Aviation. Honestly, I can’t resist myself from saying that I appreciate your last line so much, I hope I can bring a change to this industry one day.

Mohsina,

You might be able to bring a change, but you should also be prepared for what happens if you cannot bring a change. If the airlines forbid your head scarf and your appeal attempts do not work, what will you do then? Will you fly without the scarf or quit your job? Just something to think about.

Chris

2 Likes

Emirates,Etihad, Egypt Air, Royal Air Maroc,Saudi, Gulf Air, Kuwait Airways, and many others allow head scarves . But to get hired by any of these you need to have heavy jet time, good luck.

2 Likes

Hi Chris, Actually I have a question. If there is a safety concern in regards to wearing the headscarf then, I was wondering and curious to know how it is possible that other Airlines around the world allows it. And I agree that a particular way of wearing the veil that covers the ear might create some safety concerns but the headscarf can be worn in a various way, would that still make a difference?

Mohsina,

In the US we are governed by the FAA, a govt agency. Foreign carriers are not and can make their own rules based on their needs and laws in their countries. A great example is Emirates Airlines. The CEO of Emirates is Sheik Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum. Not so coincidently Sheik Ahmed is also the President of the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority (their equivalent of the FAA). So in essence you have Sheik Ahmed making the rules for the airline his agency oversees. THAT’s how they allow it.

Adam

2 Likes

Honestly, that is above my pay grade. I know that the airlines are able to enforce their uniform policies, but I am not completely sure of the rationale behind it.

1 Like

Hey guys,

I was going to make a different thread on this matter, but thought to just ask here to see if there is any new perspective on the matter. I’m a muslim man and I do get second screening at the airport every time I come back to the country. I’m not worried about screening part, as much as the hire-ability of someone with Ali as a last name. I was told that the airlines are trying to diversify their pilots more and hire minorities, just not sure that would extend to people like me. An insider perspective would be appreciate it.

PS: on my flight onboard a United Express coming from Montreal, the Captain was a young Egyptian-American like me and his name was Omar, so that was optimistic.

It’s illegal to make hiring decisions based off race, religion, gender, etc. Sorry to hear some of your personal experiences have made you think otherwise.

You shouldn’t have an issue. I’d say the large majority of people in the airlines don’t care about your religion. We care about your professionalism, good decision making, and skills as a pilot, having a friendly personality also goes a long way with having a good time while at work.

Chris F

1 Like

Marwan,

The airlines in no way discriminate based on nationality or religion. You will be just fine in the hiring process.

The airlines will not accommodate needing to have certain days off, breaks for prayer time, etc. This applies to any religion, to include Christianity.

Chris

1 Like

:grin:
Thanks Chris, they don’t even do that in Muslim countries so I don’t expect them to do that here for sure.

I’ve worked in restaurants that didn’t accommodate my holidays, so I think I’ll be pretty fine doing that in a cockpit :wink:

Marwan,

I know many muslim and Middle Eastern pilots. It’s not a problem.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks Adam.