How have pilots been affected by coronavirus?

Hey guys, so everyone is currently freaking out about COVID-19 and all that it entails for the world. My question is, how have you, as professional pilots, been personally affected by the spread? I’m less curious about how this is affecting the industry or hiring, more just how does the virus and panic about the virus affect your flying, trips, the whole nine yards?

Dan,

Every day we receive updates on how the company is making an effort to ramp up cleaning efforts to avoid spreading.

Upon entering a new plane, the FO and I wipe down the flight deck with company issued wipes.

I’ve noticed my flights are less full, about 50-75% capacity.

I heard on someone else’s flight, a passenger started coughing (could have been anything) and a passenger sitting behind them made a fuss.

Then of course it’s hard not to notice an increase in the number of people wearing masks.

I’ve heard a couple airlines like United and Delta have postponed all hiring for now.

Tory

2 Likes

Dan,

Really not much. Loads are definitely light but there’s often a dip this time of year and we’ve reduced some of our Japan and Korea flying. Other than that guys have been hoarding sanitizing wipes so the company had had to ration them but otherwise again really not much.

Adam

2 Likes

Dan,

My airline has a heavy international’s presence and thus has really been affected. We have announced a 20% reduction in international flights and a 10% reduction in domestic flights. So far though it has not really affected the pilots that are currently on property. The company has offered voluntary leaves of absence, a lot of guys really seem to like those as it enables them to pursue other interests.

Chris

Just curious, do you guys think Corona Virus affect people that are already in the airlines now? Do you guys think some airlines will start to lay people off now or will everyone just have some light schedules for however long this takes?

Dylan,

Compass and TSA announced furloughs but that’s probably more due to the loss of flying to SkyWest than to Covid19.

Fortunately (or not) furloughing pilots is expensive as it goes in reverse seniority and requires ALOT of time and money for training as pilots move into different slots. It’s therefore often a last resort. My airline has announced they’ll be granting more voluntary leaves and nothing else for now. Next will probably be reduced lines available. The problem obviously is the uncertainty. Standby…

Adam

Dylan,

It’s too early to tell, but I don’t think airlines will furlough employees because of COVID-19. Airlines have reduced their flying and are postponing new purchases, but it doesn’t look any furloughs will occur. China is already starting to show signs of containing the spread of the virus. That’s good news for everyone else.

Tory

Thank you Adam and Tory, I figured it was too early to really tell just thought I’d get some insight from you guys. Thanks!

One question I have is (I’ve heard this from a friend who’s a Captain at Piedmont flying the Embraer) is that (at least - to their knowledge) regionals are cutting back flights for the month of April. This individual also mentioned their training on Airbus was suspended and it could take months to “rebuild the structure of the airlines,” any of y’all feedback on that?

I think it’s hard for anyone to speculate at this point, If it continues the way It is now it’s definitely not good but then come the what ifs…how long to find a cure? How long until it’s contained? Will there be travel bans? For how long? How long will it take the public to feel safe traveling again. Too many variables at this point but it’s just a matter of time until flights are back to pre COVID numbers IMO. Everyone wants to post feet pics in front of a beach or next to a world wonder and airlines and pilots alike will go back to reaping the benefits. Then again this is also me just guessing :joy:

Brady,

Generally Regionals don’t reduce or increase flying. The Majors they fly for do and so since EVERY Major has announced they’re reducing flying that will in turn cause the Regionals to.

How long it takes to “rebuild” will depend heavily on how much things get taken down and that will depend on how long the chaos continues. Standby…

Adam

1 Like

We have announced serious cuts to our flying schedule, but there are currently no plans to lay off pilots (or anybody else). The company has offered leaves of absence, but that is standard practice in tomes like this. So far nothing else is suspected, but you never know. The cost to furlough and retrain other pilots is exceptionally high, so this will have to be a prolonged event for any of that to happen.

Chris

1 Like

As of today Regional wise,

Most expect TSA to close earlier now.
Also Compass may be close behind them.

Horizon I believe already announce furloughs.

Everyone but Envoy and Skywest stopped interviews and classes (as of now to my knowledge).

Republic announce a deal including no furloughs unless this continues till May. (Although that was before Inited announce 50% reduction).

SkyWest has not officially announced any hard changes, training is continuing for now. Bidding delayed till 17, expect update around then.

Gov Medical experts have not ruled out country wide lockdown, so everyone parked for a while is still a possibility.

Always live within your means and have atleast a 3m emergency fund (this industry should be 6-12m). It will bounce back.

“Hope for the best, plan for the worst”,
Chris

They have?

Horizon hasn’t furloughed anyone. Tilden just announced that furloughs will be a last resort. We are waiting for instructions for voluntary leave of absences.

Who says Horizon has furloughed?

Tory

Well, I’m not going to be ready for the airlines until about 2ish years. My worry is that fight schools will shut down (read about some already.) In you guy’s experience do flight schools usually follow the trends of the airline industry. Ex…If it comes down to all the airlines parking their planes then the flight schools with also park theirs? Or is a flight schools’ date in the hands of whether or not the owner thinks that there’s no point in continuing flight training?

1 Like

Tory,

It’s the same reason in an emergency you say “remain seated” to the pax vs “do not evacuate”. All they hear is the “evacuate”.

We’re currently working on a number of strategies to work with the company due to the hopefully temporary reduction in flying. Everyone wants to call it “furlough mitigation” which I hate. As soon as you say the “f” word everyone goes nuts!

Adam

3 Likes

On the lighter side:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ac681a0cffbd84990eb3998573f91abd/09bbb7f31cc8186c-7c/s500x750/89b360ff2b297dcc213def4e7c064e5d6b23035e.gifv?fbclid=IwAR0_Jp3ck5IQu7rZ2CyrOwRasNAd3zRrSFBAX_3yo-wzYTsuhb84e7Su21c

:smiley:

3 Likes

I would also like to know the answer to Al’Vincent’s question. I know ATP is very different from a university setting so I don’t know if they would even consider shutting down unless a mandatory lockdown was initiated by the government. I suppose we’re still just in the speculation stage.

I am a student at the Long Beach location and as of this afternoon, we are stopping ground school classes and are encouraged to self-study at home… but we are expected to continue flying and simply sanitize and clean better. I am honestly shocked that we are still continuing with flying because most of the state has been completely shut down.
Most schools of all types have gone online or stopped classes but I am not sure how other flight schools are handling it. I was actually on here looking for this topic because I am curious if other students are still flying or not

1 Like