How old is too old?

I’m 51 and recently retired from being a CPA for 20 years. I wanted to be a commercial pilot but was heavily discouraged by family and settled on a more “grounded” occupation. I’ve taken private lessons and got to about 30 hours but decided to table my lessons because of being a caretaker for my terminally I’ll mom. I still fly with friends who have planes and am ready to start lessons again. I am seriously considering the commercial pilot program but am wondering about how marketable I would be to airlines at my age. I would be 53 when I finished the 2 year time line. Thanks.

If you look through the forum you see that this is probably one of the most asked questions people have when considering becoming a pilot. (Another one of the most asked questions are from people my age, asking about college. :grin:) Mandatory retirement as an airline pilot is at age 65, but if you undergo the 2 year ATP program, you can probably have a good regional career. I’m sure the actual pilots will chime in soon.

Thank you. I searched under keywords and found the other threads which answered my question.

1 Like

Hello Andrea,

Pilots your age are getting hired at the regionals and I expect that that
will continue for at least the next 10 years, according to statistics, but
anything can change. There are no guarantees in this industry. If you
decide to go for it, I recommend having a backup plan like corporate or
charter flying since those jobs don’t have mandatory retirement ages.

If you make it to the regional level, the major airlines will be out of
reach for you.

Tory

Andrea,

This question is covered in depth in our FAQ section, but the short answer is that yes, you could probably be hired at a regional airline, but you will never work for a major airline.

I would caution you to look at the return on investment on this one. It is a lot of money to spend for a short career, just make sure you are taking that into consideration.

Chris

Thanks Tory & Chris. I looked up the topic and saw your prior responses. Thanks for the advice.
It’s interesting that so many of us 40-50 somethings are looking into this.
I’m Fine with only flying regional and understand the ROI so I’m going to take the online class and schedule the introductory flight. Thanks again!

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

I think it falls under “mid-life crisis”, at least that’s what everyone told me? :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Lol. Could be. I don’t have kids, husband, siblings, parents and I’m financially able to do what I want. So I think I will!

1 Like

And I think you should! I did and couldn’t be happier.

Adam

I read your bio. It looks like you are having a blast.

1 Like

Congrats on retiring early and with enough money to do what you want. My advise, with all due respect, quit asking, you need no one else’s input! Go buy a plane and fly everywhere, anywhere, just enjoy it!! YOLO!!

1 Like

Lol. I guess you are right that technically I don’t need anyone’s input. But that’s not how I make decions. I like to seek out people more knowledgeable in a topic than I am and gather as much info as I can. Their input either supports my belief or it doesn’t and I can go from there. Since I have zero experience as a licensed pilot, I’m asking what actual licensed pilots think. I am lucky enough to retire now. But by “do what I want” I really meant that I have no obligation to anyone but myself and can make decisions accordingly.

You sound like my accountant J. I was looking at a similar transition, then thought, why spend 70k on all this training to fly cargo or a regional on someone else’s schedule? I’m getting my ppl now, then to IFR and some other ratings, for much less. Then buy a plane and fly where I want with whom I want. Different strokes for different folks. Best of luck in whatever you decide and enjoy.

Randy

I think it’s also because those of us in our 40s might have had a dream to be a pilot when we were younger, but 20 years ago it was much more difficult to do … with the pilot shortage being in the news in the last few years, it has rekindled that desire in a lot of people our age.

4 Likes

Hi Tory,

Just saw your answer here.
I’m 43 and I’ll start my training in 1 month. I’m really counting on getting hired from any regional in 2 years.
So far, every answer that I’ve gotten from airliner’s HR were good. Hopefully I’ll be hired at the end of my training.

Thanks

Wendell

1 Like

For those of you looking to start late in an aviation/airline career, the advice and warning about whether you can expect to make the major airlines is a little bit too pessimistic. I agree that the likelihood of you flying for Delta, United or others “legacy carrier” is less than say a 30 to 40 year old, but there are laws about age discrimination and they do apply to all airlines. I am aware of several pilots who (claim) to have been hired in their very late 50’s with major airlines. As posted earlier, the regional carriers should be no issue. The mandatory retirement age is 65, still a good 5 to 6 years of flying when hired at 59.

As a 50 something year old looking to enter the profession, its more about whether your willing to put up with the pay and working conditions a new hire at a regional airline is going to put you through. Having retirement income makes it financially possible to at least continue a lifestyle you/ve grown accustomed to, but the pace of work is more designed around a 20 something rather than a 50 year old. I’ll let others working in the trenches of the regionals answer more on QOL issues, but keep in mind, a lot of young pilots complain about issues (time off, scheduling, work hours, etc,) that you might find off putting. Good luck!

1 Like

Donald,

I don’t think it’s a matter of being pessimistic but one of realistic about quality of life. If someone’s ONLY goal is to say they fly for a Major than no one’s saying they don’t have a shot. The question becomes after spending say 5-7 years at a Regional, upgrading to Capt and finally building some seniority, is it worth it to jump ship? You’ll be at the bottom of a seniority list again, probably take another paycut, lose union protection, have to learn new equipment, perhaps be based away from home/having to commute and knowing you will never upgrade just to say you fly for a Major for a few years? I can tell you the QOL at the Regionals really isn’t much different than the Majors. It’s really more about pay, aircraft, routes and to a some extent ego. I got to Hawaiian at age 49, if I hadn’t I probably wouldn’t have tried anywhere else and been perfectly happy at ExpressJet. Ultimately it’s up to the individual.

Adam

Adam,

I’m 43 and I’ll start my training within a month. I’ve already set my expectations to work for a regional and that would be perfect for me. That’s is my only dream now.

Hope I can do it.

Regards

Wendell

1 Like

Donald,

I am going to disagree with you on this. Yes, there are laws against age discrimination, but the FAA is the biggest discriminator of them all with their age limit of 65. The courts and the government know that the airlines are dealing with a federally imposed age limit and as such do not expect the airlines to hire a 62 year old, spend $100k training them, just to turn around and have them be forced into retirement.

As a “fifty something”, you are looking at least at age 55 to apply to the majors and probably more likely age 57 or older. Sure, there are stories out there of pilots getting hired at that age, but it is the exception.

We provide real answers on this forum, we never sales pitch. I think that for somebody just beginning flight training in their fifties, the chances of getting hired at a major are slim to none. I would rather tell you that than sell you a fairy tale that never comes true.

To be clear, I hope you and everybody else that wants to make it to a major does, but I want you to have realistic expectations.

Chris