How to gain hours?

Hey guys! I’m currently in training to get my private! Just wanted to find out how to gain some flight hours after I get my license (obviously not for pay). Maybe somehow there are places where they need a pilot and I need hours? And they pay for the plane expenses.

Thank you all in advance for your patience and time,

Renato

Renato,

That is the eternal quest, how to build time without paying. Problem is as a low time pilot with just your PPL chances are you’re not going to impress anyone with you flying resume. Even if a an organization has an airplane they need someone to fly (which I don’t know why they would without a pilot), as just a Private Pilot you probably wouldn’t meet their insurance requirements. While not free you could possibly share a rental with another pilot with one acting as safety pilot so you can both log the time. The Civil Air Patrol would allow you to get some free “mission” hours but it wouldn’t be many. I have heard of the occasional older pilot who doesn’t feel safe flying alone asking a newbie to join them in the cockpit for safety but again that’s rare.

Sorry I don’t have more. Maybe some others while chime in with suggestions.

Adam

Renato,

I highly doubt that you will be able to find anything like what you are speaking of. A private pilot’s license is simply a license to fly you and your friends around. Any job that needs airplanes moved, etc is going to be looking for somebody with at least a commercial license.

Chris

Renato,

As Chris and Adam have said, this scenario virtually just doesn’t exist. How many hours are you trying to build? And what is your end goal?

Tory

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who took their time to answer a silly question haha. But, hey it doesn’t hurt to ask right? I just wanted to see if it were possible in between transition from private to commercial where you can still get some time without having to shell out $$$.

Now, speaking to transitioning,

What do you guys say on getting my Instrument ratings before going into commercial certificate training? any tips or advice on which is the best route and why?

Thanks always,
Renato Pezzulo

Renato,

It would be helpful to know what your end goal is, but to answer your question, most get their instrument rating first. Without it, you’re limited on the type of flying you’re able to do, even at the commercial level.

Tory

Renato,

Having your CPL without an Instrument rating is virtually pointless. No one is going to hire you if you can only fly when it’s sunny outside. Further since you need 250hrs to obtain your CPL why not use some of that time earning your Instrument rating and becoming a better safer pilot.

Adam

All,

Understood. My apologies, I thought that getting your instrument was part of your commercial training in ATP. I’ll have to do some more research then :sweat_smile:. And absolutely will be getting my instrument rating.

Thank you all,

Renato

Renato,

No apologies but I’m confused. It sounded like you were looking to do your training on your own independently? ATP does do the Instrument training prior to the CPL as part of the whole program. ATP does not however break up the program nor can you choose what you’re going to do in what order. It’s a complete program that includes ALL the licenses and rating required to be a professional pilot.

Adam

Renato,

You should get your instrument rating first, then the commercial. A commercial license requires 250 hours of flight time, so you might as well spend that time working towards your instrument rating instead of just burning holes in the sky.

Chris

Adam,

I am getting my private independelty that way I can still have my job at Delta air lines and have some kind of income. I’m not sure yet which way I should go for my next steps, whether it be instrument first and then commercial OR getting both together included in the ATP program. And to answer your previous question on what are my goals? I want to be a airline pilot ( I know the commercial and instrument and all other certificates are required). The only thing I’m trying to do is break down which way will save me
Both time AND money.

Always appreciated,

Renato

Renato,

Saving time and money is always gonna be the goal of someone with how expensive flight training is.

From my experience I got my PPL outside of ATP and I was looking around the same time Sergey and Peter (other forum members) the problem is while yes I was fortunate to save some money which is not always the case and after some delays I got my PPL 2 months ago. Meanwhile Sergey and Peter are wrapping everything up so what is the price of something when those around you are finishing up aka getting to the regionals in a yearish from now and I’m waiting another month and a half to just start. Looking back I wish I didn’t care about a few thousand dollars and just started with ATP in Feb of last year.

Just my two cents

Tolento,

Yea you make a great point. Thanks for your input. I’ve saved up enough money to get all of my licenses but once I go for my commercial I’m just nervous about being without income for a while. So I just want to be strategic in my transition into commercial. Now if I got my instrument before I head to ATP, would that speed up the process in a way getting my commerical certificate?

Also, Is ATP the best place to be Instructor in the sense of getting maximum hours done or how does that work? I heard over here (in New York) some other schools pay less but you’re racking hours all day everyday.

Thanks always,
Renato

Renato,

Again you don’t seem to understand ATPs program. ATP offers 2 options and ONLY 2 options. Start with or without you PPL. Beyond that there are no time or cost reductions for anything you have. If you were to show up with your PPL, CPL, Instrument and CFIs (no reason why you would but I’m trying to stress a point) you would still take 6mos to complete the program and it would still cost the same price.

ATP offers all successful students Instructor positions but they will not guarantee you a location. The average ATP instructor builds about 75hrs a month and the pay schedule is also pasted on the website. If you can do better elsewhere then by all means you should.

If you’re seriously considering ATP and investing the time and money required I strongly recommend you spend some time on their website so you can understand the program better.

Adam

Renato,

Negative. If you go in with your Instrument you will still go through the Instrument portion just not have to take another written or Checkride for it.

Take a look in the FAQs section as Chris and Adam have done a great job covering a lot of stuff.

All,

Ok ok I guess we got lost in translation. I understood this before but I think I took someone’s reply and got confused because that’s exactly what I thought, why would I get my instrument and have to go through it again? But thanks for the input guys.

Renato

Back to the original post Renato.

My flight school that has multiple locations offers flight time for ferry aircraft. We don’t get paid, but it helps with building the hours. Not sure if there’s any schools like that near you, but it’s an option in some locations.

I built a great deal more of my flight time getting my instrument rating under Part 141. And built some time on my Commercial XC flights. However the program I was in was lacking the resources to finish my training and I went on a hiatus. Now I’m looking to wrap up my training and ATP was the best option. I may have to redo my instrument training, but I see it as a refresher and more hours to my 1500 TT.

Unless your in a highly structured Part 141 program I definitely recommend doing the ACPP through ATP and knocking everything out including your instrument. Most Part 141 schools take many more months and even years to finish training. If your aviation career goal is the airlines, ATP is where you need to start.

1 Like

Not to mention 141s have to follow a schedule approved by the FAA so if your lacking in one area you’re done for if you run out of that allotted time where at a 91 if you’re proficient in one area you can pull from that slotted time and work on the areas needing improvement.

1 Like