I finished the first 3 writtens in 4 weeks and so can you

Did you take your final exams online or did you have to go in to take them?

Shelbie,

All the FAA Knowledge exams must be taken in person as they must be proctored.

Adam

Thank you!

Shelbie,

Most ATP locations are licensed testing centers. If the one in Tucson isn’t by chance, they will point you in the direction of the nearest one.

Hannah

1 Like

Thank you for posting this, I am the new guy in the block and looking at starting school in April in KSDL, I have some time before I start and like to take advantage of it by at least studying and hopefully taking a test or two or three. Looking forward to working/flying with all of you in the future.

Sergio,

If you’re hoping to start training in April you had better get going! Have you started the process or checked on availability? ATP is experiencing record enrollment and many slots are full. Further you’ll need at least 2 weeks to study for each written. The clock is ticking my friend…

Adam

1 Like

Thanks, Logan! I am working on King Schools right now and my goal is to take the tests by the end of this month. I appreciate the info. Now back to studying… :slight_smile:

Definitely doable. I am starting with credit for private pilot credit on April 3rd at FMY and so far I have taken the IRA, FII, IGI, and CAX with all scores over a 98%. Just need to finish by taking the FIA, and FOI. I am going to take the AGI, and BGI just because I have the IGI done as well. The written exams are easy. Just takes some good time management if you haven’t quit your full-time job yet like I have.

Adam,

Nice work on completing the writtens you have already, that’s a great head start you have.

Do you mind sharing how you studied a bit for each written, Sheppard Air? Timeframe for each written, just to give some timeline guidance for future students?

Brady

Hey Brady,

I am coming in with a private pilot license and I currently still have my full-time job.
I plan to give them a one-month notice this Friday that my last day is March 31st and am starting ATP April 3rd. So I study before and after work, so I get maybe about 4 hours a day of studying on the week days and as much time as I can stand on the weekends.
I started studying for the IRA on Feb 3rd and took the exam Feb 15th.
I took the FII and IGI on Feb 20th. So about 17 days to get through all the instrument related exams total. I started studying for the CAX right after that.

I have been using just Shepard Air. They have a study strategy that is pretty well lined up but I use a different order to the steps
I do steps 1, 2, take a practice test and get at least three 90s to get my endorsement and test scheduled, then the next day or two leading up to the day of my test I do steps 4, then 3 to ensure a better score.
I think steps 1 and 2 are the only necessary steps. If there is a concept or question I have trouble with, I look it up in the FAR/AIM, FAA hand book, Advisory Circular, what have you, and read/highlight it. I’ll watch a YouTube video if I need to and then move on.
Biggest thing is just to stay immersed and don’t take days off. If I keep up this pace, in addition to the tests I have taken already, I will have the FIA, FOI, AGI, and BGI also done before April 3rd. Once you get your momentum it goes pretty fast.

Adam

5 Likes

Adam,

Excellent work on those writtens! Keep that kind of work ethic going and you will do well in the program.

Chris

Good morning Adam,

Yes sir I have a start date of April 24th. I have also started diving in to the study material I do have a question on the Shepard Air app there are 2 applications one is **Flight Test X20 and Flight Test 5 ** on the ATP website under Preparing for Your Airline Career Pilot Program they recommend to use Flight Test 5 App on the ATP Orientation videos they recommend Flight test X20 has any one had any experience with one or both if so what do you recommend?

Sergio,

Use Sheppard Air - Flight Test X20. It should also be advertised when you enroll with Sheppard Air to use which application.

Brady

1 Like

Do you recommend people with 0 knowledge or flying to wait and take their tests until after they’ve started school or before? I’ve been studying a lot and haven’t been doing great on my tests. Some things are fairly easy whereas other things I feel like might click more with actual experience. I had a friend go through King Schools who was passing in the 90’s that did not pass his test… I just don’t want that to be me. Any suggestions on how to focus on getting through all the info and retention?

Kristen,

We recommend taking as many of the tests as possible before starting training, regardless of experience level. Most people are able to take the tests without having started the program. I know it sounds crazy, but rote memorization really is best. What method are you using to study?

Chris

Just got through the King Schools orientation, listening to the PHAK, and started the Sporty’s study buddy app. I’ll focus on the rote memorization. That actually helps a lot. Thanks!

Kristen,

Not even a question. EVERYONE who takes their writtens first is glad they did and those that didn’t wish they had.

I do recommend you put down the PHAK and the Kings. Sporty’s rote for the PPL and Sheppard Air for the rest.

Adam

5 Likes

Thank you! That advice will help me a ton and save me a lot of time that I can use towards things that will be more helpful. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Hi all! I just passed my PAR using Sporty’s and I am now looking at Sheppard Air. Is it recommended to purchase both the IRA and FII courses or just the IRA to cover both? Then afterwards, same question for the CAX. Purchase only CAX or CAX and FIA?

When you guys mention Sportys Study Buddy is it just the $14 app or the private pilot course that runs $250+?

How long are the written good for? I’m about a year out from training so I should be studying for and knocking out those tests when I can.