I want to be a pilot when I grow up, how do I start?

I’m 14, turning 15 on September 25, and I just want to learn more about aircraft and aviation so that when the day comes for training, I will be ready and have a little more knowledge about flying. Do you have any information on what high school courses to take and what major in college you recommend doing? Also, what airlines are the best to start at?
P.S. Sorry for all the questions…

Rushil,

The best thing you can do at your age is study hard and do well in school. There are no specific classes or degree you need, just a well rounded education with a strong GPA. The flight training will come.

As for the best airline, that’s like asking what’s the best food, car or movie. For each of us that means something different based on our priorities and likes. Further, the best airline now may not be 10yrs from now when you’re ready

Adam

Thank You, I will do my best to get good grades and at the same time learn about ATP and planes.

1 Like

Rushil,

Right now, focusing on your primary education and obtaining a really good GPA will go a long way. Further, you will want to look at a university that is accredited; community college is a great foundation if you’re unsure of what to major or focus in, finish the general education credits first; then transfer once you have an understanding what you want to do. Any degree or field that you find interesting or worth your time should be the desired major, the airlines do not care what degree you have, as long as you have put in the work, obtained a good GPA, and have a clean record.

At your age, I wanted to fly; however, 1) I didn’t have the money and 2) I could barely see over the glareshield in a CTWS light sport. I think junior or senior year, get an introductory flight or two, see how it is being in control of a small trainer. That way it will give you a sense if flying is truly something you can and want to do. Some airports have flight schools with simulators, my hometown airport has a Redbird motion simulator that the 501(c)3 works with a STEM program. That might be considerable to look into, a STEM program, at your age and how many years of school left.

Brady

Brady,

Are there any colleges that you think may be better than others to get your degree from? I’m a senior in high school planning on going to JMU but I want to make sure it’s a good choice for my future in flying. Also, you were saying you weren’t able to see over the glare shield, is there any kind of height limits to be a pilot?

Bradley

Bradley,

As long as you go to a legit school and do well, it really doesn’t matter which college you attend or what you study.

What does matter is the flight school you do your training with and there’s no better school that’s produced more airline pilots than ATP.

Also, if you want to be a pilot you can’t EVER really grow up! :wink:

Adam

Adam,

I’ve heard of programs where you can go through a partnership with an airline and they’ll pay for your flight school if you agree to sign with them. I’m assuming this is because of the shortage so I don’t want to bank on it but does ATP have any programs like that or any ways to reduce the cost?

Bradley

Bradley,

While a few of the airlines are offering scholarships, they’re few and far between. Further, no airline will pay for your training. What they do offer is Tuition Reimbursement AFTER you successfully complete your training because frankly no airline wants to front the money in case you’re a lousy pilot.

ATP actually has more airline partnerships than any college or flight school.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for clearing that up for me, it actually makes a lot more sense that way. I’ll be sure to check out ATP’s partnerships, thank you so much!

Bradley

Whatever accredited college you can afford is the best one! If you can get through college without a ton of debt, you’ll be able to become a pilot faster.

THIS IS TRUE.

Brady

Can you be a pilot if you have glasses? I have heard that you can with 20/25 vision uncorrected.

You heard wrong. You must have 20/20 corrected.

Adam

Ok, I have glasses so I will have to get it corrected to even start flight school?

If you have glasses then presumably your vision has been corrected by the lenses.

Adam

Yes. I have glasses but would I need lasik?

Rushil,

Perhaps I’ve been unclear? The FAA states your vision must be 20/20 (or better) with or without correction. By correction they mean with glasses or contacts. If your vision is 20/20 WITH GLASSES you’re fine.

Adam

Perfect! I have never personally seen a pilot with glasses, so I have always had a doubt.

There are hundreds of thousands of pilots around the world. How many have you seen?

Adam

1 Like

Are we talking how many pilots or pilots with glasses. My captain I’m flying with right now has glasses…

Rushil,

All joking aside, the only thing you will see is if you have corrective lens (contacts or glasses), you MUST have backup corrective lens as well. Here’s a link directly from the FAA’s website as what AME’s refer to:

I recommend reaching out to an Aviation Medical Examiner for ANY medical questions/inquiries. We are pilots, and while we have a general idea of medical information from observations or knowledge, we are NOT medical professionals nor can we tell you what is and is not authorized.

Brady