Im in highschool

im 16 and im a junior in highschool, I live in north carolina. i want to become a commercial airline pilot and its something im really into. and i want to figure out whats the best path to take. i dont know wether its a better idea to get a bachelors degree in something or just jump straight into flight school from highschool. I want to be able to become an airline pilot as fast as possible and be able to work my way up and get flight hours in, will i be able to work up to a commercial airline pilot with not getting a bachelors degree in something? I just need to find the best career path thats most ideal to me. any advice?

Austin,

You should 100% continue your education first and get your degree. The Majors want one and it’s always a good idea to have one in case aviation doesn’t work out.

Adam

1 Like

Austin,

It’s great you have a dream and want to start making a plan to turn it in to a reality. However, take a breath! You’re only 16. There is not much you can and should be doing now other than enjoying high school, getting good grades and figuring out the next step in your education: college.

College is an essential stage in your development in to being a professional. It will better prepare you for the rigors of the ACPP and you will need it when it comes to applying to the majors. Your career will be limited from the start of you don’t have a degree. Look at in-state tuition options or community college for the first two years to keep the cost low. Then pursue flight training once you have a bachelors degree.

Hannah

1 Like

is there a specific major that will help set me up for aviation or that will help me be further in the game if thats what i choose to do? or a major that would be good for aviation, but also could work for another job incase aviation doesnt work out?

Austin,

Not at all. Despite what many think, you don’t need a degree or to study any advanced math or science to be a pilot. As long as you have good core math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) you’ll be fine.

Study what you like.

Adam

1 Like

Austin,

You will want to study something that you find fun or intrigued of. I have a Bachelor’s in business, nothing aviation related and in fact, is a great fallback plan if something happened in my aviation career (i.e., another pandemic, medical, furloughed) that I can resort back to for some time. There will be times you have to use quick math during flights to calculate important numbers like fuel burn off, distance to descend, etc.

If you can start right after high school into college, you could even go to a community college and complete your general education classes before finding the right university or degree. I have known many friends that have gone that route and now have started their flight training.

Brady

1 Like

Austin,

The mayors like to see a degree, they do not care what it is in. The vast majority of pilots that I know have degrees in subjects other than aviation. Pick something that interests you and go from there.

Chris

1 Like

thank you this relieves me alot hearing that i can get a degree in something that im interested in as a backup plan. thanks so much for answering my questions!

Austin,

Anytime, we’re here to help and point you in the direction that you will find best suited. Please let us know if there is anything else at any point.

Brady