Becoming a pilot after high school

I’m a senior in high school and I’m planning on becoming a commercial pilot. I’m deciding whether to go to a community college that has a career pilot program to get my degree in aviation. However, I heard that most airlines do not require a degree to become a pilot. So my other option is going to flight school near me to take ground class first to study. Is this the right path for me to become a pilot? I’m not sure which option to go for since I’ll be making my final decision. How can I save money for flight training?

Mark,

While NO airline requires a degree, ALL the Majors prefer one and list it as part of their competitive minimums. You absolutely want to continue your education and starting with CC to get a 2yr is fine. Just know you’ll need to get a 4yr to meet those competitive mins.

Adam

Hey Adam,

Thanks! If I’m going to community for 2 years and getting a associate degree then will I be able to go major airline to work there?

Mark,

As I said above, the Majors want a 4yr degree.

Adam

Mark,

You can start with community college to keep the costs of your degree down but you’ll need to finish the last two years to a bachelors degree for it to count.

We don’t recommend any aviation degree nor do airlines require one. Instead, pick a subject that interests you and can be used as a backup career in case of airline furloughs.

To save money, work part time jobs while in school and start building credit for applying for the loan in the coming years. Just know, you’ll most likely require a co-signer.

Hannah

1 Like

Mark,

I like the community college after high school to tackle some of your general education credits at first until you can decide what study you want to major in. I would recommend checking out a few community colleges, then attending the remainder at an accredited university. You want to find something that you enjoy because if something falls back in aviation, you will want to have a backup plan.

In the meantime, go for a few introductory flights at nearby airports, make sure flying is something that you could see yourself doing in a few years. One of the challenges many find enrolling into flight school is the loan, make sure if you haven’t, build some credit and find a good co-signer in the event you need one.

Brady

Brady,

Would be it be good to do flight training while taking classes at community colleges? Since there’s community college that has a great aviation class and program I can to get my associate.

Mark,

Curious how you know its (or what makes it) a “great aviation class and program”?

Adam

Hi Hannah, My name is Moamin Inam. I was born on February 24,1999. I’m 24 years old and from New Orleans, Louisiana, but live in Metairie, Louisiana. I also have a niece named Hannah too. I’m a college student, studying computer networking and planning to have a professional pilot job as my second job and my computer networking architect job as my first job. Would that really work? Please let me know.

Moamin,

I’m sure Hannah will respond shortly but being an airline pilot is not a second or part-time job. It’s a full-time commitment, at least for the first decade or so. Depending on a number of factors, once you gain significant senior you could then have a second career going on but definitely not in the beginning.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you

How would that actually work?

Look at this beautiful result on a quiz from ATP Flight School and my effort.:airplane: What do you think?

Moamin,

I recommend you contact Admissions to schedule your Admissions Flight and be the judge for yourself. We can’t tell you whether you will be an airline pilot or not, only guide you into the direction it takes to get the start of your journey.

For a detailed explanation towards your seniority and possibility of having a side gig, I would give this posting by ATP on their website a good read to understand what seniority is:

Brady

1 Like

Thank you Brady for your amazing answer, advice, support, service.

Moamin,

Anytime, please let us know if there is anything we can help out with. If you’re in Louisiana, Baton Rogue has a location, for your nearest ATP.

Brady

1 Like

I got qualified for a free Admission’s Flight.

Of course, I will let you guys know before and after the admissions flight.

Moamin,

Sounds like the guys answered your questions well. Enjoy the admissions flight. Just know if you decide to pursue flying it will require your full attention. You can’t be part time in training and be successful or cost effective. If you’re currently in college, it would be best you finish out your degree before pursuing an accelerated airline career pilot program with ATP.

Hannah

1 Like

@Hannah
Alright, that’s my plan.