Indecisive

I am currently a Sophomore at LSU. My family and friends have always told me to become a pilot. Aviation has been my passion since I was a child. My whole life I have always looked up to pilots and airline crew. I have always “aggravated” my friends by talking about airplanes too much. Everytime I see an airplane flying in the sky I always scream for everyone I’m with to look at it. My friends always laugh about how I love airplanes more than a 6 year old. I have been thinking about this for a while. So should I become a pilot?

Seth,

My son LOVES football but at 5’8" and 160lbs he’ll never play pro ball. I love the ocean. I dive, paddle and spend as much time as I can on it or in it but I’m not a boat captain or oceanographer. I love music but I’m not a musician. Many people love many things, art, music, cars etc. What we choose to do with those affections is entirely up to the individual.

I don’t know you nor anything about your life or what’s important to you so there’s really no way I or anyone else can advise you what you should or should not be. Further if I said no, you shouldn’t be a pilot would it matter? It definitely shouldn’t.

What does stand out to me however is the fact with all this love for planes you’ve never explored the possibility by taking a lesson? If that is in fact the case I strongly recommend you do. Then you can see if you love or even like flying as much as you love airplanes as they are 2 very different things.

Adam

3 Likes

Seth,

Only you can decide if being a pilot is right for you. I love the job and cannot imagine doing anything else, but that is my experience. I suggest you spend some serious time on this forum, especially on the FAQ section and the “Flying the Line” sections as there is some great info there that might help you decide.

Chris

Seth,

It has already been said, but I just want to add my voice to the choir and also say that an intro flight would really help you answer that question.

When you are ready to schedule your intro flight any ATP location would be happy to facilitate one for you. That said, doing an intro flight at any school would do. But if you plan on attending ATP, it would make more sense to do one with them.

I also want to emphasize the purpose of an intro flight. It’s not a test by any means. There are zero expectations aside from the fact that you should maintain an open mind, ask lots of questions, and absorb as much as you can. Again, the flight is not graded, whatsoever. No one expects you to be a natural. Flying is not intuitive and takes lots of practice. The point is to have fun and learn.

If after the flight you are craving more, then it’s a pretty good sign that you should enroll. If you have doubts after the flight, maybe it’s not for you OR MAYBE you just need a couple more flights. It’s okay if this happens. Some people get motion sick for various reasons. Some just have an off day.

I look forward to hearing how it goes. Please let us know if you have any other questions and if you haven’t already, please check out the FAQ section.

Happy reading! We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Tory

Seth,
It’s sounds like your passion for aviation is strong. Lucky for you, it can also make an incredible career. Taking an intro flight would be a great first step to see if you love being up in the air and actually flying the airplane. If you come down with an itch to do it again and again… you’re on the right track. Another piece of the puzzle, read through the forum here to see what the life of an airline pilot looks like. Talk to airline pilots if you know any… because the life style isn’t for everyone.
At the end of the day, like Adam said, some passions don’t have to manifest in to careers. But that choice is totally up to you! Good thing you have two more years to really figure that out! Good luck, and let us know if we can help.
-Hannah