Instructing

Hi guys. Question about after training is over and you’re now a instructor. I have my private already. So I’m looking at 6 months of training than 18 months of instructing. My question is after the 18 months can you stay on and instruct at ATP or are you then let go?

Don

Hi Don,

@DanielleCalnin will be able to verify, but I was always under the impression that instructors could stay at ATP permanently just like any other job.

Tory

Thanks Tory

Don,

That’s one of the best perks of training with ATP. ATP guarantees all successful students instructor positions at the location of their choice. ATP instructors are also eligible to accept a conditional offer of employment with one of ATPs Regional partners and get Tuition Reimbursement so augment their income.

Adam

1 Like

I ask because it just seems like there would be too many instructors to get the hours.

Don,

ATP will give you a choice, you can go to the location of your choice which may or may not be busy. You could also ask where there’s a greater need for instructors BUT it may not be where you want to be. ATP does it’s best to not overload any location so if you’re set on a particular location you may have to wait before you get it. The fact is there’s a pilot shortage and ATP instructors are getting hired (over 500 in the last 12 mos). ATP is actually advertising for instructors who didn’t train with ATP because the demand is so great (something they never had to do in the past).

Adam

Don,

You could stay and instruct, possibly becoming a training center manager. But I have to ask, why would you want to do this?

Chris

Don,

Let me rephrase my answer to you, you can stay as long as you want, even past the 1500 hours. But if your goal is 1500 hours and it take more than 18 months, you can certainly stay in it you have the necessary flight time.

Chris

Chris
I really wouldn’t want to do that. I’m planning on attending the Deleware location and driving there each day (Little over an hour each way). I was just concerned I wouldn’t have a minimal of 1500 hours in 18 months and be told “times up you gotta go”.
Going to a different location for an extended period of time isn’t an option for me. Wilmington is my only choice.

Don,

The goal is to get you the 1500 hours necessary to become an Airline Pilot. On average that will take 18 months as a flight instructor, some take less some take a little more. You will not be told you can no longer instruct just as you’re nearing the finish line.

2 Likes

What’s the typical pay while instructing on average?

Here’s a link to our website that breaks down instructor pay: https://hire.withgoogle.com/public/jobs/allatpscom/view/P_AAAAAADAAADPTtcnQiJlfX

https://airlinepilot.life/t/how-much-does-a-flight-instructor-earn/8061/2

Tory

How do the reimbursements work? After you get hired with a regional that regional gives you money toward what you spent for training?

Don,

Here’s some info: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/tuition-reimbursement.html
There’s actually quite a bit on many subjects if you check the ATP website.

Adam

When would you say the busiest time of year for instructors is? Would like to plan my training to end and start instructing at that time. After 6 months of no pay would like to hit the ground running.

Instructors are busy year round, there really is not a slow season.