Instruments

Questions for Current instructors and mentors. I’d like to know what you consider the most difficult parts of learning instruments. Quick background on myself. I got my private 20 years ago (I’m 43 now). I have accumulated close to 300 hours over the years. I haven’t flown in about 7 years. I’m starting ATP in February with my private. I plan to fly at my local airport (kmtn) in a Cherokee to prepare for the instrument and knock the rust off. I’m thinking somewhere around 10-15 hours. I’d like the first 5 hours to get back into the groove and 10 on instruments…Soooo, what would you suggest I ask the instructor to work on with me during those hours? What do you find is the maneuvers or procedures that folks struggle with the most?

Don,

Everyone is different so what one person wrestles with may or may not help you. I think you’d be best served just flying and working on your scan. Basic flight maneuvers while keeping your eyes moving, avoiding fixation and interpreting the information. That’s the basis for all of it. Get comfy with that and you’ll be fine.

Adam

Sounds good. Thanks Adam. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous about instruments.

Don,

Don’t over think this. Just tell your CFI where you are and what your goal is. They should be able to help knock the rust off and give you a bit of an intro into instruments. I would recommend doing some work under the hood to start working on the instrument scan.

Chris

Thanks Chris. You’re right. I am definitely over thinking it.

KMTN has one of the most outrageous instrument approach (and missed approach) procedures I have ever seen in the VOR/DME RWY 15 approach. I’ve practiced that one in the sim a few times before just for kicks and giggles. You should give that one a shot.

But seriously, yeah, just a few hours under the hood getting used to making basic maneuvers by sole reference to the instruments should be enough to get you ready for some serious instrument training. ATP includes a 20-hour time build to get some PIC cross-country flying before starting the actual instrument lessons. With 300 hours, I’m guessing you probably already meet the 50-hour requirement of PIC X/C time for the instrument rating. But I would say that time is incredibly helpful to get used to instrument flying and even approaches and other procedures as well.

Oh Kyle,

It’s a DME arc into another DME arc. Trust me, there’s worse! :slight_smile:

Adam

Kyle,

That my friend is an easy approach. Check out some of the approaches into EGE, JAC, or MEX.

Chris

1 Like

I’ve done approaches at MTN with my instructor right before getting my license in actual imc. But they were all radar vectors to the ILS.