Intro/Questions

Thank you, Chris!!

Anytime, let us know what other questions you have.

Chris

Hey Scott,

I’ll chime in on this topic also.

I started out with a David Clark headset that I bought second hand off of eBay for around $200 and it worked perfectly during flight training. But when I started flying more hours a day as an instructor, I felt that the DC’s clamped on my ears too much and I would usually have a headache by the end of the day. I decided to invest in a good headset and went with the Bose A20, which I still use now at SkyWest and I couldn’t be happier.

My suggestion is that you start out with a standard headset during training, you won’t have much benefit from the A20’s when you are flying 2 hours a day. The same goes for the flight bag, I can’t find a reason to justify a $200 bag to carry your logbook, a couple pens, an E6B and a plotter. Any regular backpack will do just fine.

With regards to the iPad, I used the iPad mini and it met my needs as a student and as an instructor and I actually still use it today all the time, but I can see how the mini might be too small. There is no requirement to use the mini, so if you prefer the regular iPad Air/Pro, that will also work fine. (Not the 13" iPad Pro though, it will not fit in the cockpit.)

Overall, remember that expensive equipment will not make you a better pilot, so don’t worry about it too much right now. You will always have the option of upgrading later down the road.

Yarden

Makes sense also. Thank you!

Scott,

Gotta disagree with Yarden on this one. You going to need a headset day 1, why buy 2? While flying 2 hrs a day you may not need the comfort, as a new pilot you will need to be able to hear those controllers barking at you at 900 words a minute. One of the biggest challenges new pilots wrestle with is communication with ATC. Understanding and writing down their instructions is tough enough, trying to do it while trying to filter out the sound of a droning engine and prop can be impossible. Do yourself a favor and spend the money, you won’t be sorry. It’s an investment in your career AND the longer you use it the more you’ve spread the cost out. The Bose are quiet, comfy and their service is fantastic. If you can afford it it’s really not a question.

Adam

1 Like

That’s the way I was leaning Adam
thanks for your insight! Might as well pay for the best now and avoid paying for it later anyway.

When i started my PPL i went out and did some research. I really wanted the Bose A20, but i didnt want to spend the money. Figured the extra couple hundred would be better spent on PPL hours. I ended up settling on the FARO Headset, very similar to the DC’s http://www.faroaviation.com/aviation-headset/faro-aviation-g2-anr-pilot-headset.html I paid $389.00 for them. I am now about 38 hours in on my PPL and wishing i had got the Bose A20. Dont get me wrong the Faro headset is comfortable and very quiet. Really a great product for the price point, however now that i am doing longer flights i cant wait to get them off my head after 2+ hours. Save yourself in the long run ! Buy the Bose A20’s ! I just placed my order last night. Or i could sell you a Like New Faro Headset at a great price :wink:

Haha, thanks! I just ordered the Bose A20!

Well, it’s official
I start March 6th in McKinney, Texas! Beyond excited! Thank you all for the info and help!!!

Scott,

That is great news, congratulations!

Please keep us up to date as you go through the program.

Chris

Congrats!

Keep your eye on the prize and keep us posted!

Adam

Will do! :smiley:

Congratulations Scott!!

I remember when I signed up
good times :slight_smile:

Have fun and good luck!

Chris,

I see the list of written tests. Is there an ATP-Multi written exam?

Also, I see junior pilot First Officer bases and Most junior captain hired on APC. What does that mean?

Ryan,

There is an exam for the ATP certificate, but you do not need to worry about until you are nearing 1,500 hours of flight time. In fact, many regionals will provide the class necessary for this exam as part of your new hire training.

As the the “junior bases”, airlines run off the seniority system, where the pilot who has been at the airline the longest gets his first choice of aircraft to fly and the base to fly it in and then other pilots chose the same in the order that they are on the list. Being “junior” refers to being at the bottom of the seniority list. So a junior first officer base is the base that new hire pilots are likely to be assigned to. Also, a junior captain base is the base where the pilots who have the least seniority, but enough to be Captains will find themselves at.

Remember though that the junior base is not necessarily a bad thing. I have been based at Newark for years, while I was initially assigned there because it was the junior base at the time I have chosen to stay because it worked out really well for me.

I hope that made sense, discussing seniority can be confusing.

Chris

Ryan,

Just to answer the latter part of your post, most jr Capt hired is to give you an idea of current upgrade time at that airline. In other words if it were to show Most Jr Capt hired 12/2013 (for example), that’s 3 yrs ago so currently that airline is upgrading in about 3 yrs. Make sense?

Adam

Thanks Adam, I seemed to have missed the second part of the question.

I’m your wingman :wink:

Hi Ryan - just in case you were asking about the multi-engine rating add-on to the private pilot rating: no, there is no written exam
just the oral and practical (flight) exams.

Chris / Adam,

Thanks. The junior base answer makes perfect sense.

When I retire from the military, the wife wants to move back to South Louisiana. Baton Rouge (closest) and New Orleans are the closet airport. I was looking at Envoy and Express Jet, since they have hubs at IAH and DFW. Illl be commuter because BTR or MSY aren’t hubs for any airlines.

Thanks again

Ryan