Is 44 to late to become a Pilot?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a change of careers. I’ve been a manager for the same government agency for 20 years and my child is finally graduating high school this year and starts college this fall. I have a bachelors and masters degree, but cannot bear the thought of working behind a desk anymore. I’ve always wanted to fly and have been thinking about quitting my job and going to flight school. Do you think I could still have a successful career as a pilot starting over this late in life. I have some savings to live off of while I attend school, but would need to finance the education. Is it worth the risk at my age to jump ship and start a new career?

3 Likes

No, you are not too old! I’m leaving my job of 20 years at the end of February. I’m 42 years old and currently in the Horizon Air Pilot Program. if you can get through training in a couple of years,that would still give you close to 20 years in the industry! I say go for it! One thing I do recommend is having your family on board! it makes it a lot smoother! Good Luck!

4 Likes

Gennafer,

You’re not too old and there’s actually very little risk in today’s market (provided you do well in training) as everyone with the licenses, ratings, required time and a pulse is getting hired. This is not a sales pitch, it’s insanity.

Honestly I used to give long narratives on being realistic about your expectations for your career but this pilot shortage has turned the industry upside down. Last week Delta annouced 767 Capt slots for pilots in under a year. Just a few years ago you were looking at 20yrs for such a position. It’s unheard of.

While it’s great that you have your Bachelors and Masters you don’t mention any flight experience (and no riding in the back going on vacation doesn’t count). If that’s the case I strongly recommend an intro or discovery flight. Many believe they want to fly but sitting upfront in a small training aircraft is a very different experience and something you really need to do before you consider this as a career.

Adam

3 Likes

Gennafer,

Adam is right, the market for pilots is at an all time high. I do not think you are too old, but you will need to get moving forward om this in an expeditious manner. I would encourage you to check out the FAQ section for a detailed post on how age pertains to career expectations. While we are hearing crazy things like Adam mentioned right now, I think that FAQ post has more realistic expectations in it.

2 Likes

I’m 37 and have my 3rd class medical scheduled, anticipating entering a program later this year. Been researching ATP and a couple other cadet programs, but have the same thinking as you. 20 years left to prosper after training!!!

Shane,

Just a heads up if your planning on doing an accelerated training program, many will require a 1st Class Medical.

2 Likes

Appreciate the heads up, but that’s definitely alresdy in my plan. I wanna obtain my 3rd class, and ask if he sees anything that would stop me from getting my 1st class. If he says I look good, I’ll get back on the schedule and start applying for loans and start making plans.

1 Like

Gennafer,

Definitely not too old! The mandatory retirement age is 65 and it takes about 2 years to get from zero time. Only you can decide if the amount of time left is worth the financial risk! But I will say, nothing beats a flying job. Going to work and realizing you’re getting paid to fly airplanes.

If you decide to do it, there are financing options available. Once you complete the program, there are multiple pathway programs with tuition reimbursement which can provide both financial relief and peace of mind knowing you have a job lined up.

Feel free to browse the FAQ section here and ATP’s website. Let us know if you have other questions. Thats what we’re here for!

Hannah

1 Like

I would say that there is really no point in going about it in this manner. You can either obtain a first class or you cannot. You will need a first class to be an airline pilot, so there really is no point in obtaining the third class first. Save yourself the time and money.

Chris

3 Likes