Starting a Pilot Career in your 40s?

Hello Pilots,
After going through a bitter divorce, I am now considering a career change. The problem is that I am 40 years old. I have flown a lot as a passenger, and I’ve always wanted to pilot a plane someday. Considering the seniority in the airline industry, is it wise to start a pilot career in your 40s? I would appreciate any great advice. Thank you.

2 Likes

I’m 46 - nearly 47 and like you, JB, am less and less satisfied with what I’m doing now and am looking to see if its even feasible to try and follow my lifelong passion for aviation as a pilot. I’d love to hear what the pilots have to say and also hear any recommendations for how to get started (where to train, cost/financing, etc). I’m in Austin, TX.

1 Like

Nice to see meet you here, sir! It sucks doing something you don’t even love. At our age, we don’t have room for mistake as if we were in our 20s or early 30s. I am looking for something I enjoy and compensates well. Let’s see what the pilots have to say. I wish you success.

2 Likes

JB,

This question gets asked daily. Please take a look at our FAQ section and search through the hundreds of posts on the subject. Short answer is it’s not too late but you do need to get cracking.

Adam

1 Like

I have a question, 10 years ago I got a DV and went to jail, but the case is misdemeanor, and I have went to the court to expunge the case, I really want to be come a pilot and work for the airline, is that gonna be a big problem?

Cheva,

Yes getting arrested and going to jail is a big deal and there is no expunged when it comes to federal background checks. If however this is the only issue you’ve had and your record is completely clean you’re probably ok getting to a Regional. The Majors however would be a huge obstacle.

Adam

Hi Adam

Got it, and thanks

But in the past few months, I have worked for usps post office, and I pass the background check with fingerprints fbi check.

But I don’t like the job, so I resigned,

But which school is good for zero to private license and from private to commercial, can you please tell me?

From zero to private around how much?

Type “age” or “too old” in the search window at the top right…it’ll guide you to a lot of posts covering cost, earning potential over time, length of training, stability/choice of homebase, what “reserve” is and what to expect in that status, what you can expect to earn as a flight instructor building hours, various paths (college, ATP, Lyft and other flight academies and schools and relative costs/benefits/pros/cons etc.), mandatory 65 year old retirement from airline pilot duty (other jobs still exist…but not many paying the same high wages), can you get and maintain a First Class Physical? So many things to explore. Good thing is - just about all of it’s been asked and discussed.

Oh, and before Tory, Adam, and Chris get to it…
Have you gone on a discovery flight or two? You may find that riding in a 767 is NOT the same as controlling a Cessna 172; and it may be fun, but is it a thrill you look forward to day in and day out? Tough questions, but only ones that you can research to your level of comfort and answer."

GOOD LUCK! :smiley:

2 Likes

I would recommend that you both check out the FAQ section. There is a lot of good information on there that addresses your age related concerns.

1 Like

I was thinking of applying and I am 41. What is the daily schedule for a person in flight school? I work a full time job in Boston, and was wondering if it’s feasible.

Cheva,

Yes, I think this will be a major stumbling block for you that will likely prevent employment at the airlines. As always though, I recommend that you check with the recruiting departments of several airlines to be sure.

Chris

Cheva,

We are all graduates and thus fans of ATP on this website. All of your questions can be answered by looking at ATP’s website or searching this site.

Chris

Matthew,

If you train with ATP, it is five days per week, all day. You will not be able to work at all while in the program. Check out ATP’s website as there is some good information there on the daily schedules while in the program.

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for the information.

I want to get into ATP, but the requirements is60 college credit or have a have a license private license before-before I can join to ATP

Yup that’s correct. But remember if you get your private license elsewhere you need 78 flight hours

Hey I’m not too far from you maybe we can train together if you want.

Matt,

You don’t mention if you have your Private Pilot License yet. To give you an idea of how rigorous your schedule might be for ATP; I work 50 hours a week and am getting my PPL at the moment. I cannot go to ATP at the moment because I’m locked into a Navy commitment. Just getting my PPL on my own schedule, entails me taking off work every other week so I can get enough visits to the flight school + spending every night and free hour I can find (outside mowing the lawn, fix-up projects around the house etc.) with my nose in a book. It’ll take me three times as long as what it would at ATP this way, but it’s my only option at the moment.

ATP is a compressed/accelerated program where you “work” 40-50 hours a week studying and flying. It is your job. If you are locked into a job for the moment, you could work on your PPL.

ATP gets you through PPL faster. There is no doubt that on your own using a local flight school it will take you longer. And by taking longer, it will cost you more, (maybe a lot more) since you spend a lot of time each lesson reviewing the last lesson instead of learning new information… Research the school to ask about instructor and aircraft availability so you don’t wind up dragging out the process interminably. You’ll need to fly about five to six times a month to keep moving forward each lesson. Each lesson tends to be an hour of ground and an hour of flying. It’s about a 3 hour trip unless the airport is right near your house which, in my case means I have to take a couple days off from work each month to get my hours in. So, you’ll be spending more and taking longer than ATP - but if it’s your only option to get moving on your new career, you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do. Just be smart about it and study, study, study to make the most out of the money you’re spending.

Good Luck. Phillip

1 Like

Matt, I just happened to be re-reading some old posts. What was your decision? Are you going to ‘go for it’ and fly? :smiley: