Is ATP for me?

So I recently just turned 20 years old and have decided that I want to become a pilot. But my question is what route should I take? Where should I begin? Now I keep in mind I don’t know anything at all about planes but I do love the idea of me becoming a pilot someday. I was looking into ATP flight school and it sounds great! I heard you have to work your butt off but I am more then willing to do so. But should I go to ATP if I have no knowledge at all? I heard it’s very fast paced. Thank you.

David,

The vast majority of students who come to ATP do so without any prior pilot knowledge. After all, ATP is a flight school and they specialize in teaching people how to fly :slight_smile:

Check out the FAQ section as there is a wealth of information that will help point you in the right direction.

Chris

Thank you. I really appreciate you responding. Yeah I’ve read about obtaining a four year degree for a major airline but the problem is it takes four years and a lot of money. Which is the reason why I want to take the ATP route. This semester I obtain my associates. Now keep in mind I stay in Chicago. The cold and Windy City. I feel like if I want to pilot train I don’t want to do it here. I also want to save as much money as possible

Okay thank you for answering. I was also wondering if I decide to go the ATP program can I go to any of their 39 locations?

David,

Yes you can go to any ATP location you. Just to dovetail with Chris many ATP students have little or no flight experience or aviation knowledge.

What I would like to comment on is your statement that you “love the idea of becoming a pilot”. You’re not alone in this dream HOWEVER the idea can be very different than the actual experience. If you’re serious about pursuing your dream I strongly recommend you contact ATP (if there’s a location close by) and schedule an intro flight (if not just go to your local flight school). Until you actually go up in a small airplane you really won’t know for certain.

I also recommend you visit our FAQ section as we cover the process and the various routes available. While aviation universities and degrees are definitely an option, they traditionally are very expensive, take far to long and as someone who’s actually participated in hiring at 2 airlines can tell you, won’t impress anyone at a Regional or a Major. In fact long before the current pilot shortage when it was actually very difficult to get an interview, let alone get hired, ATP grads were receiving getting preferential interviews with reduced hours when no one else was.

Bottomline do your research and decide what works best for you but please go fly soon. Chances are you’ll love but…

Adam

Thanks Adam you are helping a lot. One more question though if you don’t mind. Many say I should go for a 4 year degree if I hope to one day work for a major airline but many also say it doesn’t really matter. Me as a person with a competitive spirit, I want to go for the highest position I can get to. But does it really matter? I read the industry is changing but should I still go for a bachelors? And don’t worry I will take the discovery flight soon and most likely let you know how it goes.

David,

This topic gets discussed daily and the facts are the facts. Major airlines desire a 4yr degree and despite the pilot shortage and everyone’s wishful thinking that’s not going to change anytime soon. The problem as I said is that Aviation Degrees can be ridiculously expensive and really serve no benefit. Further if flying doesn’t work out for some reason there’s really not much you can do with an aviation degree.

Now if you were still in school or just graduated HS I’d say keep going and get your degree now. But you’re not. Seniority is everything in aviation meaning the sooner you start the better. You could go to ATP (provided you have at least 2yrs college OR equivalent work experience. If not you’ll have to get your PPL) and be at a Regional airline in just over 2yrs. While at a Regional you could get credit for your licenses and ratings and then get an online aviation degree (since you’re already flying it’s less of a backup and more of a box checker for that degree) in about 2.5yrs, just in time to start applying to Majors.

While this route is requires a tremendous amount of hard work, it’s the most efficient. Again I recommend you do your own research and decide which route is best for you.

Adam

I actually am currently enrolled in school right now. I decided to go the cheaper route and go to a community college to receive my associates. And I’ll actually be done by this semester. And is there really no other way to get accepted to a major airline if you don’t have a bachelors?

David,

The fact you’ll have your Associates is great as you’re half way through a Bachelor’s. I think I was pretty clear in my response and you asking the question again is not going to get me to change my answer. Is it possible to get hired without? Yes it’s possible BUT again the Majors prefer and desire a 4yr degree. If you don’t you don’t go into the preferred pile of applicants.

I play Mega Millions and Powerball because it’s possible I could win. It is not however my retirement plan. You say you’re a “competitive person”, why wouldn’t you want to put yourself in a position to be competitive?

Adam

I am a “competitive person.” And I never said I don’t want to put myself in that position and not work hard. All I wanted to know was what is the best route because I don’t come from a family with a lot money. I just want to make the best decision for my career. Thanks.

David,

Somewhere in the last twenty years an Associates Degree seemed to take on a new importance in some people’s minds. That being said, it is really just a half-way-there certificate. Most corporations do not consider an AA degree to actually be a degree, including the airlines. I am not trying to be harsh here, just letting you know the reality of things.

People do get into the majors without having four year degrees, but they are very few and far between. The Envoy Cadet Program is one way to do so https://atpflightschool.com/airlines/envoy-air-cadet-program.html , but I certainly would not want to rest my whole future on just American Airlines. You might find out that you would prefer to apply to Delta, United, etc.

Bottom line, I would plan on getting a four year degree.

Chris

Hey Chris thanks for the info. What do you think of this? So what I was thinking is when I’m finished with this semester and have received my associates degree, I stop going to school to finish my bachelors and instead go to flight school (ATP). Then let’s say everything goes well at ATP and I get all my rates or licenses done (I’m not really good yet with the terminology), then afterwards go back to school and finish my bachelors. How does that sound?

David,

Pretty sure that’s the plan I laid out not knowing you almost have your Associates.

The only caveat is know that resuming your studies while you’re flying the friendly skies requires a fair amount of discipline. If you’re up for then it’s a great plan.

Adam

And for the bachelor degree the major airline requires, does it matter what it’s on? Can it be for instance a bachelors in fine arts?

David,

Yes, that sounds like a good plan, as long as you actually go back and finish the degree.

The degree major does not matter.

Chris

Thanks Chris for your help.