Is this the right time to start flight school?

Hello
My name is Tanzim, flying has been my dream but I have only flown once (introductory flight). I got approved for the loan and am ready to start but now I am getting negative thoughts like is this a good idea because of COVID-19? The loan is also having be question my decision. Has anyone else felt like this before starting?

Tanzim,

Short answer, yes. I believe that if you really want to become a pilot, don’t delay. It will be at least 2-2.5 years from now until you’ll be eligible to fly for an airline. Here’s another thread with more insight: My Thoughts on Covid-19, the airline industry and new pilot training

Tory

1 Like

Tanzim,

COVID or not, this is a MAJOR life decision not to mention it’s a LOT of money and many people have second thoughts and get cold feet before they start (myself included). This industry can and does change. The people who started their training 2yrs ago thought they’d be ready at the best time ever and then this hit. No one saw this coming. The pandemic has definitely thrown a wrench in the works but the we will recover. People will not stop flying for good and as I’ve previously stated the loads have started to improve already and we’re still in the thick of it.

You’re actually fortunate this is happening now vs when you’re done so to answer your question, while this is certainly not the best time to be looking for a job (but yes there are jobs out there) it is the right time to start.

Adam

1 Like

Actually while 9/11 was tragic for obvious other reasons, this is far worst. 9/11 was one day, and the crash was financial. This is affecting travel and lives worldwide and more important we don’t have an end yet. Not trying to be negative and we will recover but this is by far the worst this industry’s ever experienced.

Adam

2 Likes

Tanzin,

There is no doubt that the aviation sector is currently in a huge slump, but three months ago we were on top of the world. The industry will recover, it always does. I personally feel that starting training now is very beneficial as it will put you on top of the application pile when airlines start hiring again. Those that wait will be significantly behind the curve. Aviation takes planning ahead, so does career moves. I wold not let a temporary issue affect long term career goals.

Chris

2 Likes

Thank you guys. This really helped me with my decision.

Tanzim

1 Like