Jumpseat Etiquette

Since we often get questions about jumpseating (and more particularly because my FO just said “I wasn’t sure if he was going to cry or wet himself” after I “educated” a new young pilot on proper JS etiquette after he demonstrated a clear lack of knowledge) I offer the following. While it may be a little soon for most of you it’s never too early to learn. Enjoy.

Adam

7 Likes

Definitely way too far ahead, but was a great video to know and understand the procedure! Thanks Adam!

1 Like

This is a nice video! I watched it myself just to refresh a bit!

Hi Adam, thanks for sharing. I believe you sport a beard at HA…has that made for any challenges when jumpseating at other airlines as rules can vary?

Ravi,

It actually does. Both American and Delta are very strict with the policy. Knowing that I usually stick with United when JSing as they’re far more lenient.

Funny story (kinda). During the peak if COVID I needed to get to NY and there were very few flights other than AA. Knowing their policy, I was begrudgingly prepared to shave when I told a friend of my dilemma. He said “silly man, it’s COVID and you have to wear a mask. They’ll never know”. In truth if I had to actually had to sit up front in the cockpit I wouldn’t have done it, but since I knew I’d have a seat in the back…

Adam

Adam,

Why is it enforced if you’re sitting in the back? I assume it’s to maintain a professional look, but do the passengers really know you’re a commuting pilot?

Ben

Ben,

For some carriers it’s about looks, for others there’s still concern about beards and O2 mask usage. Regardless as a JSer you are an “additional crewmember” and are therefore required to adhere to whatever the airlines grooming policy is.

Adam

1 Like

Ben,

You don’t ever know for sure that you will get a seat in the back until you actually board. It could be a completely full flight and your boarding pass could show that you are assigned to the jump seat. Thus, you would introduce yourself and provide your credentials to the captain. However, there is still a small chance that you could be assigned a seat in the back if someone doesn’t show for the flight.

The idea is to be prepared for the chance that you do actually have to sit in the jump seat. In that case, it’s better to not take any chances.

Tory

1 Like

Tory I’m going to call you out on this. Even if the flight is wide open and the agent give you a seat in the back, you still should check in with the Capt.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks. It does sound like that’s what I was insinuating. I was trying to give an example of how late of a notice you could receive about an available cabin seat, but I agree. The flight load doesn’t make a difference in terms of jumpseat etiquette.

Thanks for clarifying.

Tory

1 Like

Here’s a question. We had an airline come visit the school and the FO they brought along was expressing his difference between the CRJ and ERJ. When they were riding JS once on their commute, they noticed the ERJ crew confused to why the plane wasn’t descending via the STAR. Instead of saying something, they just sat there and let the Capt and FO figure it out even though they knew the autopilot was holding the set altitude on the MCP. Should they have said something instead of being a passenger on the flight deck?

David

David,

Absolutely they should have said something! I brief all of my jumps eaters that they are part of the crew and if they see something, they should say something. Safety is first and foremost followed by regulatory compliance. I would appreciate a jump seater speaking up if they saw something and especially if they knew how to correct it.

Once of the best examples of this is United flight 232. This flight had major system malfunctions. Instead of going solo, the Captain brought an instructor pilot up and that pilot was instrumental in helping to fly the disabled airplane. Many people died in that crash, but everybody should have died. The captain used all of his available resources, including a jump seater, to affect the outcome of the doomed flight.

Chris

2 Likes

David,

I also agree, they absolutely should have said something. It’s an uncomfortable position to speak up when you don’t know the plane or that airline’s operation but if you have knowledge to help, you should. Especially if it comes to the safe operation of the flight.

Once I was jumpseating on a legacy airline and the crew was unfamiliar with the airport and the taxi instructions. When the captain pulled out and started taxing the wrong direction at this very busy airport, the FO didn’t say anything to correct him so I did. Even though I was a bit uncomfortable as the regional pilot speaking up to a flight deck of more experience, it turns out the captain was very grateful I did saving him from an incursion and lots of paperwork.

Hannah

1 Like

David,

Without question. As a Jumpseater you’re not simply a pax catching a ride, you’re a additional crewmember and with that comes responsibility. As the others have said, while it might feel awkward, it’s part of the job.

Adam

1 Like

I was wondering about the whole jumpseating thing and your role when on the flight deck. Thanks for this.

Martin,

Great question and correct terminology because there really is an etiquette involved.

First and foremost jumpseating is a privilege, not a right. The jumpseat belongs to the Capt and it’s at their discretion whether or not you get to ride in it (or even in a seat in the back). This was drilled into me early in my career and it’s served me well. While I’ve never been denied ever, I know pilots who have and it’s ALWAYS their fault.

I could bore you for days with stories of bad etiquette but suffice to say simply be polite and ask. When pilots come up and say “hey, I guess I’ll be riding up front today” they’re asking for a denial or lecture. Also you ALWAYS want to have all you credentials out and ready. If they don’t ask that’s fine but if they do and you don’t again you’re asking for trouble. I actually know a young man who became infamous for his bad etiquette (he was the son of a senior Capt and VERY cocky). Almost cost him getting a job at his dad’s Major and delayed his hiring by a year.

As for your responsibility that’s kind of a lesson in common sense. While you are considered an additional crewmember and should absolutely speak up if you see something dangerous, you don’t want to be “that guy” pointing out little errors or questioning SOPs. Long short, don’t be a jerk!

Adam

Yeah, that’s what I figured. Sit there and stay out of the way unless you see something. Really cool feature.

I would add that attire for the jumpsuit is either uniform, or business casual. This means no sneakers, no shorts or jeans, no t-shirts, and you must be appropriately shaved.

Chris

Unless there’s a pandemic and you’re wearing a mask :wink:

Adam

You wore a mask during the pandemic behind the cockpit door? I am confused.