June 2020, Light at the End of the Tunnel?

June was a funny month. Missed flying so I bid and was awarded a line. Funny thing was when I realized I would be working a fair bit but really getting paid the same as my friends staying home I began wondering what I was thinking? But just as I was about to start kicking myself the company started adding flights and I was able to trade every 6 leg trip I had for single turns which was absolutely delightful!

6/1 Union Day
6/2 OFF
6/3 Pay Protected for Trip used for training
6/4-6 OFF
6/7 HNL-LIH-HNL-KOA-HNL-KOA-HNL
6/8-13 OFF
6/14 HNL-ITO-HNL
6/15 OFF
6/16-18 Union Meetings
6/19 HNL-ITO-HNL
6/20 OFF
6/21 HNL-ITO-HNL
6/22 HNL-OGG-HNL
6/23 HNL-LIH-HNL
6/24 OFF
6/25 HNL-ITO-HNL
6/26 HNL-OGG-HNL
6/27 HNL-OGG-HNL
6/28 HNL-OGG-HNL
6/29 HNL-LIH-HNL
6/30 HNL-ITO-HNL

15:31hrs Block / 88 hrs pay

1 Like

What would the correlation be between block hours and pay hours be. How does 15h:31m pay 88 hours? I believe I may or may not have asked this question either here or somewhere else, but I’m still a little confused.

Dan,

Block hours are actual flight time. As I said in my narrative I was able to swap almost all my trips for single turns. On average those turns were only about 1-1.5hrs in total. However our MDG (Minimum Daily Guarantee) for any day (the min amount you can be paid for showing up for work) is 4:17. Add in my pay for union days (which have no flt time), and the one day I was Pay Protected (again no flt time) and you end up with 88hrs of pay but only 15:31 of flt time. This is what’s meant when you hear pilots talk about “work rules” being as important (if not more so) than just pay rates. Make sense?

Btw I neglected to show May 2020s schedule since I was on Reserve and only flew one trip the entire month. That was 84hrs of pay for about 2.5hrs flt time.

Adam

2 Likes