Just need an advice in life

It’s been a while since I’ve been around. Life has been fairly steady lately, and as I approach high school graduation, I find myself grappling with important decisions about my future path. I have some experience flying various aircraft—Cessnas, Cirrus, Gulfstreams—and I’m quite certain that I have the courage and passion to pursue a career as a pilot. Fortunately, my sister’s ex-husband, who is a private pilot, has generously imparted his knowledge to me.

However, there are three significant concerns that are slowing down my decision-making process:

1. Doubt in my ability to successfully complete pilot school. (I am a good learner, but not as good in precise sciences like math, but I also feel like if it’s passion driven, then you can do it.)
  2. Financial constraints, as pilot training is notoriously expensive and private loans don’t seem to offer favorable terms.
  3. Resistance from my family, particularly my sister, who harbors negative associations with pilots due to her past relationship.

As a result, I’ve considered pursuing a four-year business degree first, with the intention of eventually circling back to fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a pilot. I fear that without pursuing aviation, I may settle for a business-related job that fails to ignite my passion.

I seek advice on how to address these three counterarguments and determine the best course of action for my future.

Also I heard that having a degree before becoming a pilot is good, what are you guys thoughts?

Forever thankful. Sasha V.

Sasha,

First and foremost, NO ONE, least of all us can tell you what you should and should not do with your life. That said I do have some thoughts. As for your questions:

1. a common misconception is pilots need to be math or science wizzes. Most aren’t and that’s fine. As long as you’re basic skills are there (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) you’ll be fine. If they’re not, just like anything else they can be improved.

2. the cost of flight training is high and that’s an obstacle for many and since the loans are unsecured the rates are less than great. Honestly not much you can do about that BUT there a few careers that offer as high a potential return on your investment.

3. it’s your life not your sister’s. She’s obviously important to you so you need to show her this is what you really want for your life but ultimately it’s your decision.

We always recommend college first. The Major airlines all desire a degree and it’s always good to have a backup plan should aviation not work.

Adam

Thank you!

Sasha,

1. I would recommend taking a few lessons at a local school and see how you do. Maybe even go all the way to soloing and see if this is really for you.

2. I think the terms are actually pretty decent when one considers that these are unsecured loans and that the bank has no way of knowing what kind of pilot you will be. The vast majority of student pilots finance their flying education, I did.

3. That is absolutely ridiculous. You will be an adult soon, this is your life to live, not your sister’s. It is very unfair of her to involve herself in your career choice and to baggage from a past relationship into the mix.

I am a huge fan of college first, it helps bring maturity and clarity, both of which are necessary for successful flight training. And yes, the major airlines want to see a degree.

Chris

Sasha,

Revisiting your old threads and seeing what advice was given prior:

I remember the discussion was you had a friend who owned a SR-22, you were still in high school, and you were possibly already acquiring training for the PPL? Has any of this changed? Referencing this old thread:

To your current questions:

First off, I’m not trying to berate or throw shade at what you’re saying, but;

HUH? :face_with_monocle:

1. I think going to college like you mentioned is a great plan prior to professional flight training because it will allow for multiple developments. While it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to fly an airplane, it does require basic algebra like Adam mentioned. There will be times inflight you will have to calculate numbers on the spot; especially if diversions or holdings are introduced and now, you’re thinking of diverting for weather/fuel.

2. There are loan providers that many students visit in order to attend flight training. While interest rates are extremely high right now, we can’t predict what the future rates will look like. I suggest meeting with a financial advisor or talking to a professional that is licensed and skillful when the time is right.

3. It’s your life, no one else’s, you should do what you want and be proud of it. You will run into people at some point who want to put blockers in life because of jealously or spite, don’t let your sister ruin your dream. I suggest maybe showing anybody that is similar in these shoes that you want to do this, and passion in flying.

Like Chris, college first, get a few more years under your belt and a backup plan before going to an accelerated training footprint.

Brady

Hello Sasha,
I have one piece of advice. If you are not looking to get into this industry in the fast paced way that ATP does you might look for a 4 year traditional degree that also gives you the qualifications to be a pilot. There are several around the country and they would provide you a means of becoming a pilot with more favorable school loans that are associated with traditional college degrees. Just a thought.
John