Location placement

Hello,

I was curious as to placement after course completion. Is it likely to stay in the area you train or does it depend on other factors?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

You won’t be placed anywhere. You’ll be offered available locations and its up to you to decide. You might luck out and the location you trained at might be available, it might not. It’s purely based on staffing needs at the time and nothing else.

Adam

Do keep in mind that you can always seek a transfer back to your desired location once you are in the system.

1 Like

I was wondering if I could take any breaks after the program before starting to instruct? If so, how long of a break is okay for me to take?

I know reaching my 1500 would delay, however, I am still unsure whether or not I want to take any break. But just want to know if I can.

Any responses are appreciated!!

Harsh,

A few weeks might be ok but beyond that I’m thinking ATP might just move passed you and onto the grads who are looking to fly and make you wait longer.

Adam

Jason,

As Adam and Chris mentioned, there is a good possibility that the need of instructors at your location may not be needed at that given moment; ATP does their best to maintain a student-to-instructor ratio so that you get the most quality instruction from the instructor. Sometimes there are waitlists at locations, and it could be weeks or months until you get an opportunity of transferring. I’ve seen two transfers back into my location during my time as a CFI.

Harsh,

You want to minimize the amount of timeoff between student to instructing, if possible. Like Adam said maybe a week or two, nothing “extreme.” I have seen many students getting an immediate job offer whether it’s valid for their graduating location and/or another. Maybe you’ll get lucky and the callup will be a week or two out? But I’ve seen quick turnarounds and you don’t want to be skipped out on an awesome opportunity to instruct at ATP.

Brady

Thank you for you responses Adam and Brady!

So I have no chances of instructing at ATP let’s say if I were to come back 6 months later for instance?

That’s really a question for Admin. I would call and ask for an official answer.

Tory

1 Like

Harsh,

No one said you’d have “no chance”. Just know there’s the possibility they will say no and that’s on you.

Adam

2 Likes

Harsh,

A 6 month gap is really not a good idea. When you talked about time off, I’m sure most of us were thinking maybe 2-3 weeks to relax and catch your breath after completing the program. That’s one thing but a 6 month break is something else entirely. Now if there aren’t any open positions and it’s out of your control, sure. Make sure you keep flying somewhere locally to stay current. But out of choice taking a 6 month break is really not wise.

First and foremost, you are going to lose massive amounts of proficiency leading to questions about your capability to keep your future students safe in the cockpit. Second, you’re going to be skipped over for grads who are ready to start. Third, why would you hustle through the program to then sit and “chill” for 6 months losing all your momentum and progress towards your goal.

Hannah

1 Like

Harsh,

Six months is way too long of a break to take. At that point you will have brand new skills, which will immediately begin to decay. After six months, you would likely be way behind where you needed to be and I would worry about you being able to make it through the instructor standardization courses.

Chris

1 Like

I also have a question related to CFI work after the program. Hypothetically, if a grad marks that they’re willing to go to the “first available” position, and are offered a job in a city with $3,000/mo rent, are they allowed to turn down that first offer and just move to second in line, or would that negatively impact their offers? I take it there’s not a “send me almost anywhere” button on that thing.

Logan,

This is America and no one can make you do anything you don’t want to do. That said if (hypothetically) you say you’ll willing to take the “first available position” and they offer you a city with $3000mos rent (although I don’t believe there are ANY that there’s nothing cheaper and I’m from NY AND most airports/ATP locations are not in the middle of major cities because that’s not where you build airports) then you were in fact less than honest and yes I do believe that will impact you negatively.

We’re all adults here and you’re looking at getting into a profession where responsibility matters greatly. If you’re not willing to go to the “first available” you shouldnt say you are and that’s fine. Wasting the schools time by giving them the impression that they have a student who’ll be flexible when they’re not isn’t a good look.

Bottomline, ATP will ask for your preferences, be honest and tell them. They will probably offer you others, if one works for you that’s fine, if not wait but don’t portray yourself as something you’re not.

Adam

Logan,

If ATP offers you a position and you decline it, they will most likely move onto the next person on the list. I would not put anywhere unless you really meant it.

To clarify something, being a CFI is an entry level position, think of it as being an apprentice. You will most likely have roommates no matter where you live. To put this in perspective though, my good friend lives in Vail, Colorado, which is home to some of the most expensive real estate in the US. He rents a two bedroom condo for $2k per month and has a roommate to cut the cost in half.

Chris