Logbook Inconsistencies

Hello Mentors,

I started my training in 2010. A few hours into it, I purchased a Model 35 Bonanza to complete my training. I didn’t keep up with my initial logbook because I had no desire to get a commercial license or fly for compensation then. I don’t care about the undocumented hours because I can’t do anything about them. But, going through my initial logbook, I noticed I’ve been careless with tallying up my hours, and the totals don’t even make any sense (just the first logbook). I wrote everything in ink, and I only noticed it because I’m trying to get my books in order and prepare for an opportunity to work in the regionals. I can buy a new logbook and transfer the hours, but I won’t be able to transfer the endorsements into the new logbook. I’m already beating myself up on this. I just need some advice on correcting the totals without creating red flags. Alfred

Alfred,

Making errors in logbooks is normal. As much as I’d love to have a “perfect” logbook, unfortunately we are humans get stray markings, or accidentally write a wrong number because we are trying to multitask. The best and most preferred method to correcting the error is to simply put a single line horizontally through and initially beside it. Blue or black ink pen, stay consistent with your pen of chose.

If you’re attempting to start fresh with a new logbook, I would make any total corrections on the logbook you’re planning to ‘retire’ and then bring those totals forward to a new logbook. In the remarks or the bottom row, you could put an explanation of what why there are corrections. If you go to any interview, they will want to see original logbooks and endorsements you have; you’ll just have to take both. When I was interviewing, I took two paperback logbooks and my printed electronic logbook with signed pages. Never had an issue there.

I’m a fan of this logbook by Jeppesen and any really fine point pen, I prefer a 0.38 size:

Brady

Alfred,

I’m with Brady here. I would start a new book AMF import all my old data (in fact now’s a great time to go electronic) and make notes regarding any discrepancies and endorsements. Of course keep your originals for authentication and you’ll be fine.

The main point is you don’t want ANYTHING in your logbook you can’t explain intelligently.

Adam

Alfred,

If I were you, I would just start fresh with the electronic logbook. You’re going to have to transcribe each entry regardless, better to do it just once.

It’s so much easier to keep track of your totals since the app does all the tallying for you. It’s safe to back up among multiple devices so less likely for it to get lost, stolen or damaged. Also, you can get it printed and bound to look incredibly professional for interviews. No messy handwriting necessary.

Keep that original logbook since it has all original endorsements but typically, they won’t ask to see it unless they need to verify something.

Hannah