Looking toward august start date

Hey guys I posted a few questions on here last year and I am finally close to selecting my start date. I have been approved for financing and I’m getting my medical exam tomorrow and then driving down to Arizona this weekend to tour the mesa location on Monday. I am finishing up my last online class for college this summer and will be finished with it at the end of June. I am planning on picking a start date at the end of August as that will give the next few months to finish my degree and work on the written exams. If I have not put down the deposit and got my materials is their anywhere I can start to prepare for my private written? I should be putting down my deposit next week but would like to start preparing for the private written now if available.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

Congrats on the decision to move forward. While ATP will provide you with all you need and I def prefer the King’s course you’ll be receiving, Sporty’s isn’t bad and best of all it’s free for nothin’. https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/learn-to-fly/faa-private-pilot-test-prep.html

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thank you for the advice I will go to the website and check it out!

Thanks,

Matt,

ATP does not provide access to the study material until a deposit is placed as there are significant costs associated with making the study material available. As it is only one weeks difference, I would not worry about it.

Chris

Quick update and a few more questions! I got my medical last Thursday and toured the Mesa Arizona location on Monday and have made my decision to move forward. The last piece is picking a start date. I’m looking at starting either August 19th or September 16th at the Mesa Arizona location. I have my brother’s wedding on the week of September 7th and would have to leave that Friday the 6th and then get back that Sunday. If I started on the 19th of August, would it be too big of an interruption to have to be gone for that weekend and miss that Friday of flying? I would be 3 weeks into the program by then and would not like to have delay my start for another month if it would not be too big of a deal. When doing my tour the guy giving it said that if I just let my instructor know it wouldn’t be a big deal but when I called the the Florida main office the guy said that he wouldn’t recommend interrupting my training 3 weeks in. Just wanted to get your guys thoughts before I make my decision.

Also if anyone is planning on starting in Mesa around that time please let me know,I will be staying in the housing as well!
Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

It’s one weekend. Make up for it in the first two weeks or the following weeks. Or wait a month. Up to you.

Tory

Matt,

As long as your instructor knows they should be able to compensate. I’d start early.

Adam

Matt,

I would not recommend interrupting training three weeks in, either. At three weeks into the program you are laying the foundation of your knowledge, interrupting that can make it much harder on you. I would recommend starting ATP after your two week commitment is over.

Chris