Majors Background Check

Hello everyone,

I would like to get some insight from Pilots who know what the background check is like for Major Airlines. More specifically, do Major Airlines send someone out to interview past teachers, former fellow students, co-works, etc.?

I know what you’re already thinking… “what does this guy have to hide?” (nothing!)

So here’s my reason for asking: other than a ticket for driving while being on the phone (which I’m working on getting it removed from my record) I have no criminal past or any other sort of violations. So that being said, I haven’t had any encounters with the law other than the said ticket. Pretty good in my opinion…
SO, here’s why I really want to know: Back in my High School years, I was not exactly the student of the month; I’m not saying that I was in trouble constantly or I skipped school on a daily basis… however, I wasn’t exactly liked by my teachers… Why you may ask? its because I was a class clown back then. I still got all A’s and B’s, but obviously if the Majors send someone out to speak with former teacher, that will certainly raise some concern.

I’m 23 years old now with a Bachelors degree and I’ve definitely matured a lot since then… My professors never had an issue with me in college.

I’m trying to get this cleared now because I, just like many other pilots, want to end up working for Majors. Obviously if my character in High School is going to be a deterrent to the success of making it to the Majors, I would not be willing to bank $100k for a solid “maybe”…

Any advice is my much appreciated.
Happy Holidays.

Hamedo,

The airlines will look at your criminal and driving records, but that is it. This isn’t an FBI position. I wouldn’t even worry about the cell phone ticket, things happen and even if you do get it removed, you will still have to report it.

Chris

Hamedo,

Airlines don’t “send people out” to interview anyone. They will do a through background check and yes, regardless of what you do, they will know about the your phone ticket (this is a FEDERAL background check and we live in the information age). I have asked in interviews “if we spoke to your teachers in HS what would they say?”. If you responded “well they didn’t like me because I was the class clown” I’d get a HUGE smile on my face and proceed to tear you to pieces you about your inability to follow prescribed standards (a MAJOR component of being a pilot) and lack of respect for authority and your fellow students so I’d be careful using “class clown” as an excuse.

I wouldn’t worry about your character (or lack there of) being a problem getting to the Majors BUT you should know there are ZERO guarantees that anyone ever will. I know some excellent pilot with clean backgrounds who simply never got the call. If anything other than a “solid maybe” is a deterrent to you investing in this career you may want to keep looking.

Adam

Adam and Chris, thanks for the information. I definitely hold no intentions of concealing the ticket on future applications. Like Chris said: 'things happen"

Adam, in your opinions, given the pilot shortage and the immense efforts for Majors to hire pilots, why is it that qualified pilots with clean backgrounds never get a call?

I understand that there are many variables that come into play with this question… however, if Majors are already struggling to hire pilots, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t reach out to a well qualified pilot.

Thanks in advance.

Hamedo,

Where you’re confused is that while the Regionals are struggling, the Majors are FAR from it. They literally get thousands of applications a day from well qualified pilots and they’re still VERY particular as to who they hire. This may change in the future but anyone who thinks making it to a Major is guaranteed may find themselves severely disappointed.

Adam

Hamedo,

Adam might disagree with me here, but I generally find that the guys and gals that do not make it to the majors do so in part because of a lack of effort. Sure, they apply and maybe attend a job fair or two, but have they done extra things outside of their airline in the aviation community? Have they volunteered for a union committee or a management role? Have they harassed every single main line pilot they know for a recommendation? The answer to these questions is often a “no” while those who did get the call have usually done these things.

The majors are not going to reach out to anybody, you have to knock on the door until they can’t hear anything else.

Chris

1 Like

Maybe it varies by state but I got a ticket trying to use google maps to navigate through san Francisco which was really annoying, but he gave it to me as a non movement violation that therefore doesnt show up on my record so i played the fine and moved on. I doubt something like that should even be an issue.

I really cannot see that being an issue. Just don’t do it again.

I do disagree Chris.

I don’t know how many Regional pilots you’re still friends with (I was at Xjt much longer than you) but I’m telling you I know plenty. Unless the folks have some skeletons in their closets I’m not aware of it just hasn’t happened for them. Some have gotten interviews and the “thanks but no thanks” while others can’t even get an interview and it’s def not for lack of effort.

Adam

1 Like